Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

G.E. built in double wall oven-no bake in upper oven model# JKP75SP3SS

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 alamo3

alamo3

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:coke zero

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:46 PM

Upper oven when set for bake with both litle icon lines representing bake and broil elements coming on screen showing both are energizred ( broil for preheat assistance-i get that) but in reality only the broil is coming on and it is coming on full blast and bake isnt coming on at all. you can acually reach in and touch the bottom of oven without burning hand even after its been preheating 2 or 3 minutes and oven is hot from broil being fully energized. One might think that its obvious the bake element is bad but when you use the lower oven you realize that what is normal for the preheat phase is HALF VOLTAGE to the broil element and FULL VOLTAGE to bake element. lower oven works fine of course but upper while technically satisfying preheat and maintaining temperature is only doing so with the broil element so it burns everything on top and leaves bottom almost uncooked . when you set that lower oven even the little icons on board show it doing the proper thing with a short "half-energized" line representing broil element and a long"full energized" line representing bake element. I would assume bad bake element in upper if it werent for this blazing red fully energized broil element in upper making me think i may have other problem. I dont know sensor?  board?-------also----if i do have a bad element i have no idea how to access it. i have encounterd many "hidden" bake elements on late model ovens but usually there is an obvios cover that you remove to reveal the element but the the bottom of this oven looks like one continuous piece with the side walls blending right into the bottom with no obvious cover or humps or bumps. have no idea how they are hiding bake element. any help appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

Open the control panel, pull out the 'cheat sheet' and get going with an ohm meter. Last GE built-in hidden element I replaced involved pulling the oven out. Mine was a single but I'd imagine the double is the same. Take the doors off to make it lighter if you have to pull it...

#3 alamo3

alamo3

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

Thanks, but i wonder if i need a bake element becuse the board seems to be sending full power to broil. Anybody have an idea whats happening here?

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:58 PM

could be either a bad Bake Element

OR a bad Oven Controller

won't know till some tests or visuals are done

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:02 PM

Thanks, but i wonder if i need a bake element becuse the board seems to be sending full power to broil. Anybody have an idea whats happening here?

Not until you've tested a few things. Then you too will know what's going on...

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:46 AM

If you don't want to test the element, then just go ahead and replace it.  If you buy it at this link and that doesn't fix the problem, return it for a refund:  http://www.repaircli...4T10081/1263466

#7 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

Also check for sustained voltage to the element when bake is engaged.  A faulty control may energize the element for a couple of seconds before losing voltage, while not affecting broil.

#8 alamo3

alamo3

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

I would be happy to replace element if i could figure out how to get to it (whether i need it or not). But main question still is why does Broil element in upper oven have full voltage (bright red for the entire preheat and beyond) and yet the bottom oven which bakes perfectly appears to have half voltage to broil and full voltage to bake only. which evidently is the proper way its suppossed to work. any ideas on what is cause of broil element(oven set for bake at 350) mistakingly blazing away with full voltage?

#9 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:53 AM

I would be happy to replace element if i could figure out how to get to it (whether i need it or not). But main question still is why does Broil element in upper oven have full voltage (bright red for the entire preheat and beyond) and yet the bottom oven which bakes perfectly appears to have half voltage to broil and full voltage to bake only. which evidently is the proper way its suppossed to work. any ideas on what is cause of broil element(oven set for bake at 350) mistakingly blazing away with full voltage?

And you can solve that mystery with a multi-meter a bit of caution and the mini-manual in the envelope behind the control panel. You can disconnect the element(s) and check for proper resistance and/or activate a function and check that the proper voltages are present at the relay outputs. A lot of times oven problems are easily 'solved' by visual inspection (loose wire, burned connector, charred relay, etc.). My  Ouija board says there's a stuck relay but it's tough to get a clear reading across the internet with all them ones and zeroes running around out there. Only you and your meter can tell for sure.

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:40 AM

Removing the bake element is not a simple task on this wall oven.  The oven has to be removed from the installation and a side panel removed.  Let's all say it together: "Thank you, GE!   :smileymoon:

Page 42 of the service manual has the gory details:  http://appliantology...service-manual/

You'll need to become an Apprentice if you want to download it:  http://apprentice.appliantology.org/

#11 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:08 PM

That looks like a very useful manual. Covers most of the ovens in my flock.

#12 alamo3

alamo3

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:16 PM

I posted a question about this unit about 10 days ago and got feedback that sounded like a relay was stuck. when you hit bake and enter temp the broil comes on and goes to temp and maintains temp but it does so only with the broil element even though its in bake so stuff ends up burnt to crisp on top but uncooked in center or bottom. ordered board but when i installed new board with all the bake/broil relays on it and restart power the control panel lights up like a christmas tree with every command lit up at once but buttons dont respond at all to touch and nothing comes on. after about 2 minutes the center light panel ( where usually clock time shows) is showing Loc   ref.    i guess thats an r its block squared off letters so the r looks more like an uncompleted  n straight line up straight line across. i installed it wire by wire from the old board and made real sure the ribbon from contol panel to control was in all the way until the little tab clicked. just for good measure turned off power and went wire by wire and ribbon by ribbon and did it all again with same result. cut power and reinstalled old board so at least bottom oven would work and control toch pad works fine again (still have original problem of upper oven being broil even when set and showing bake) but touchpad works fine with original board in place. any ideas whats happening and what direction i should pursue. thanks

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:28 PM

Topics merged.  No need to start a new topic for the same problem.  

To find your topics, click your username in the upper RH corner of the screen and click "My Content."  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics