Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

How can I bypass door sensor on GE washer WLSE3150A0WW

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 dogcomp

dogcomp

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:margarita

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:32 PM

I have been trying different solutions to fix my GE washer that won't spin. In taking the top lid off so many times and returning it for testing the washer, I have pulled the wires lose on the door sensor. I have already spent a good bit of money on parts. I sure don't want to buy a door sensor unless I know my repairs have worked. I've read several descriptions on how to bypass the door sensor but they all are about wire sets where the door sensor wires are on their own plug. The door sensor wires for this model go all the way back to a plug on the operations panel where all the knobs are, and the plug also has about 5 or 6 other wires in it. Can anyone tell me how to bypass the door sensor on this GE model WLSE3150A0WW?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

If the switch is damaged, just cut the two wires, strip them, twist the strands together and place a wirenut on them as a temporary measure. What is the problem with the washer? You say it won't spin, does it agitate?

Eric

#3 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:00 PM

dude the lid switch you have is activated by a magnet.  Just get a magnet and tape it on the switch. If that doesn't work then cut the two wires like fairbanks says.

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,648 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:36 AM

Just be aware that if they are wired together you may get another error depending on the machine.

If just a standard mechanical timer model then shouldn't be a problem but with an electronic control board unit it expects to see the lid open after a cycle is finished, so if you connect the lid switch wires together for testing just be aware that they may have to be separated to let the control know that the lid has opened between cycles.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:30 AM

That only applies to control boards that will flag a lid switch error. This one does not however you should not leave the switch bypassed anyway for safety reasons.

Eric

#6 dogcomp

dogcomp

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

You guys are so awesome!!! I wired the two wires together which worked fantastically! And thanks for the warnings too. Luckily this model has a button for on/off.

Eric, the washer does agitate just fine. Just won't spin.  I have checked the water level tube and it seems to be clear.

#7 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:41 PM

You guys are so awesome!!! I wired the two wires together which worked fantastically! And thanks for the warnings too. Luckily this model has a button for on/off.

Eric, the washer does agitate just fine. Just won't spin.  I have checked the water level tube and it seems to be clear.

It won't spin with water in it.  Is the pump working?

#8 dogcomp

dogcomp

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:54 PM

It does drain fine also.

#9 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:54 PM

What's going on when in spin mode? Does the motor run, just hum or all quiet? If running, what about motor pulley, belt, transmission pulley and transmission? All should be rotating. Try rotating motor pulley by hand CW (viewed from below). This should rotate belt, transmission pulley, transmission and basket.

Eric

#10 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:13 PM

what do you mean it pumps also?  You said you hook it up direct with water and it doesn't pump.  You can't have it both ways.  Unless it's intermittent.  Maybe the pump works sometimes and not others.  Does the washer spin and agitate ok?

#11 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:18 PM

Do you have a drain problem or a spin problem?

#12 dogcomp

dogcomp

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

Eric, I can't seem to identify anything that might be a motor pulley - I probably don't know what I am looking for. I did purchase a new belt to put on, but the belt on it looks pretty okay.  I can turn the belt but nothing else turns when I do - not even the inside drum.

You guys that were asking if I was having a drain problem - the answer is no.  Just won't spin.

#13 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

Motor pulley is the smaller one on the bottom of the motor. Transmission pulley is the larger one below the transmission. So, when you turn the belt in either direction, neither pulley rotates???

Eric

GEbottomviewTstyle.jpg

Edited by fairbank56, 10 November 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#14 dogcomp

dogcomp

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:40 PM

Eric, actually the both do. Sorry. Didn't know what I was looking for.

#15 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:41 PM

Motor pulley is the smaller one on the bottom of the motor. Transmission pulley is the larger one below the transmission. So, when you turn the belt in either direction, neither pulley rotates???

Eric

GEbottomviewTstyle.jpg

nice to get the pump issue put aside.  Maybe now we can help you figure out what is wrong.

#16 dogcomp

dogcomp

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:42 PM

Eric, last message wasn't too clear. Let me repeat to be clear. Both pulleys as you described do move.

#17 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

sorry, I was confusing you with some other washer problem.  Disregard my whole pump spiel.  Does the motor run and the pulleys turn when you put it to spin?  If so you are possibly looking at a transmission problem.  Is it noisy when it is trying to spin?

#18 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:34 PM

So, what happens while in spin mode? Is the motor running but motor pulley not rotating? If that is the case, you may just have a bad clutch. There is a clutch inside the motor pulley. If you rotate either pulley clockwise (viewed from below), the brake should release and the whole transmission case should rotate as well as the basket. Need some feedback on my suggestions.

Eric

#19 dogcomp

dogcomp

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:09 PM

Eric, I can't seem to get the break to release when I turn the pulleys clockwise when viewing from the bottom up. At least there is something stopping it from turning after a certain point.

Electro-doc, when I put the setting on spin, the motor does run. It actually makes the same sounds pretty much as it did when it worked.  The pulley in the front does seem to be turning (I'm not sure if the one in the front is the transmission or the motor). But the belt is not moving. I really can't be sure about the pulley in the back. It has really gotten dark in the laundry room and a flashlight just isn't cutting it now and there is no room to tilt the washer back

#20 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:03 PM

When you try to turn the transmission pulley clockwise it may turn a 1/4 turn or so and become hard to turn.   You need to keep turning it.  This will release the brake and the transmission will turn a little in the same direction and then stop until you get a hold of the pulley again and turn some more.  If you can get the transmission to move by hand and the motor pulley is turning but not turning the other pulley, then you may have a loose belt.  If you have a new belt you might want to put it on and tighten it up and give the washer another try.  Be careful when you have your hands down there playing around the belt and the motor.  Best to unplug the washer when trying this.  I'd hate to have it turn on while you had your hand in there, it wouldn't be pretty.  Better safe than sorry :-)

Recent blog entries on this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics