Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

shelf keeps falling in Frigidaire freezer FFU20FC4AW2

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 steveklein

steveklein

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:06 PM

This is a free-standing freezer, and with a big family and a small food budget, it's very tightly packed.

One of the freezer shelves keeps falling out on one side. I can put it back in, but if I so much as look at it funny, it falls out again.

It's almost as if the shelf isn't wide enough, but is that possible? I'm pretty sure it worked when the freezer was new, but it's been broken for so long I can't remember!

So, how can I fix this?

Also, are all the shelves the same? They look the same, but I see that repairclinic.com shows two different shelf parts:

Steven Klein
Mac, PC & Network Expert

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:44 PM

A new shelf won't fix it. The walls in the freezer expand outward over time. There is a shim kit we used at Sears. It basically brings the studs out further so it won't fall. Sometimes it gets so bad they won't help. I'll see if I can find the part number.

#3 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

Is it the shelves or the baskets? I can't remember if the shims were for the baskets or what. These are the shims in thinking of http://www.repaircli...6950200/1038354. This may work.

#4 steveklein

steveklein

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:09 PM

Shelves, not baskets. How do those shims work? Are they installed horizontally from front to back, just below where the existing holes are?

Steven Klein
Mac, PC & Network Expert

#5 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:10 PM

Yea. Front to back. If the walls are have expanded to much they won't work. Usually, you can use the shims for a few years and then the walls may expand to far. If you have to use more than 2 shims on one side, I believe they won't work. It's been awhile since I installed them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics