Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Roper washer RAS7133RQ4, intermittent spinning

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nate

nate

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:18 AM

I have been battling with my roper, RAS7133RQ4 washer for a week.  It will not spin in spin cycle, but I can hear the motor running.  I have replaced the clutch.  Removed the basket to ensure nothing was stuck or jammed.  I have double and triple checked the drive block and the motor coupling, which are both in perfect condition.  With the transmission removed, when the input shaft is moved the agitator shaft moves accordingly.  I have also checked the red wire in the motor wire harness, as I have read it is notorious for breaking in the harness.  It looks good as well.  Every time I tear it apart and put it back together, it works perfectly for one load.  Then it goes back to not spinning, but the motor is still running.  Last night after it stopped spinning again, I opened and shut the lid rapidly 5 or 6 times, and it suddenly broke loose and started spinning.  This morning on the next load after it stopped spinning, I got it started by unplugging, and then spinning it by hand a few times it started spinning again.  Needless to say, I am dumbfounded.  Thanks for any help you can offer.

Nate

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

If you can spin the basket easily by hand, then your drive block is shot. The broken red wire is a problem with the new belt drive models, not your direct drive model. The washer should drain without spinning, then the motor must pause for a few seconds to release neutral drain, then starts again for spin. If motor is pausing as it should, run it in spin mode with cabinet removed and lid switch bypassed. Observe the clutch hub and the basket drive up inside the brake hub. If the clutch hub is spinning but basket drive is not, then the clutch is slipping or there's something wrong with the brake cam driver. If both clutch hub and basket drive are spinning, then your drive block is shot. If neither is spinning, turn washer off for a few seconds and then back on. If clutch hub is still not spinning, it's a gearcase problem.

Eric

Edited by fairbank56, 11 November 2013 - 11:56 AM.

#3 nate

nate

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

I pulled the cover and bypassed the door switch.  The washer drains fine, and pauses after draining.  The washer agitates, but will not spin.  During spin cycle, the neither the clutch or the basket drive spin.  I turned the washer off and on again, and nothing happens, motor still runs with no spinning.  Sounds like I'm getting a new washer.  Thanks for your assistance!

Nate

#4 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:45 PM

Before buying a new washer,pull the motor and check the drive coupling.

http://www.repaircli...mber=RAS7133RQ4

#5 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:44 PM

He said that he has already triple checked it.

Eric

#6 nate

nate

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:51 PM

Drive coupling looks new.  I wish that was all it was.  Thanks though.

#7 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:06 PM

To be absolutely certain that the coupler is ok, rotate gearcase input shaft CW by hand. If the clutch hub doesn't rotate, it's the gearcase but it's odd that it has worked on occasion while you have worked on it. You might just want to open up the gearcase and take a look. They are repairable and parts are readily available. Could be a stripped spin gear or worn spin pawl. Cheap easy fixes. If you go this route, clamp the gearcase in a level position so you don't lose any oil and use putty knife to cut through the cover gasket material after removing cover bolts. Spin gear is the large plastic gear and is easily removed after removing the retaining ring.

Eric

#8 MicaBay

MicaBay

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

I pulled the cover and bypassed the door switch.  The washer drains fine, and pauses after draining.  The washer agitates, but will not spin.  During spin cycle, the neither the clutch or the basket drive spin.  I turned the washer off and on again, and nothing happens, motor still runs with no spinning.  Sounds like I'm getting a new washer.  Thanks for your assistance!

Nate

This design of washer is better than any new ones currently on the market.  You are a good DIYer.  If you didn't want to repair, it would even be worth it to buy a new completely assembled transmission from repairclinic.com  (Rumor has it, you can even return installed parts if it doesn't fix your problem.)  Or maybe there is a good used one at your local appliance reseller!  

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,177 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:53 AM

If you didn't want to repair, it would even be worth it to buy a new completely assembled transmission from repairclinic.com  (Rumor has it, you can even return installed parts if it doesn't fix your problem.)  Or maybe there is a good used one at your local appliance reseller!  

The rumor is veritas!  http://www.repaircli...r/Return-Policy

Transmission part link:  http://www.repaircli...ion/3360629/423

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics