Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Washer GTWN42450M1WS

Bearings Roaring noise

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:32 AM

Call I will check this afternoon.   Complaint is machine is very loud in spin cycle, "can hear down street".  How difficult is this one to replace the bearing & seal on scale of 1-10.    And what would be neighborhood of pricing be?   Any other pertinent  information also sought out.     Thank you for all replies.   Patricio

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet coke

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:47 PM

I just got a unit in with same model, number.  Complaint is loud bang during agitate.  It was brought to me.  I ran it full of just water and hear no noise during agitate or spin.  Wonder if I have to load it to duplicate problem.  I watched the magnetic clutch engage and disengage.

I pulled the dasher and do have some up and down free play on shaft.

Is this a bad bearing, shaft as stated above.

Would like a service manual if some one has it, on the mechanical.  Will search later to find.

Will also be interested in what the blue book says to charge.

#3 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

The one I examined yesterday is toast.  Transmission oil is pooled up under tranny, book price for new to much to bear for customer, another for the scrap pile.   And they wanted to sell it to me for $20 more than my fee.

Edited by Patricio, 12 November 2013 - 06:03 PM.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#4 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

I may be missing something here, cant find a full parts break down,  the model number you listed above, does not have a transmission unit, has a shaft and tube unit.  I may be wrong.  Anybody got a complete diagram.  I got the service sheet and i dont see a transmission.

#5 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:50 PM

Its me that has the model wrong. I have a GTWN4250D1ws.

#6 fairbank56

fairbank56

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:05 PM

I think he got the model number screwed up, there is no 42450, must be 4250. No transmission, has mode shifter which does have lubricant within the spin tube and could leak out of damaged.

Eric

#7 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:32 PM

Eric,  Glad your'er there, have you worked on these.  I just found a good diagram on sears parts direct,  What goes wrong? any history or something from your bag of tricks or experience.

This one you can get the shaft to move up and down, dasher off.  Should it be tight.

the mag clutch seems to be engaging the pulley just fine, I dont see any metal shavings.

I checked water pump it is clear.  The last GE this rental company brought me had a girls sock in the pump ???

It may have had something in the pump and broke it loose and spit it out.

I down loaded the manuals, saw the bulletin on some of them tearing up clothes.  They say change the motor, and that doesn't make sense to me either.

#8 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:10 AM

My Bad for not proof reading my typing.  My bad calling it a transmission.  I should not use improper language on this site.  Most homeowners think the drive train is a transmission. 

Any to make sense out of story.   I tried to find something on this GE GTWN4250M1WS, could not find anything other than replacement parts from parts companies.  So I posted on short notice.

Made call, initially put machine in spin cycle, the roar was so loud we could not hear each other well at all.   Dude ask for ball park figure.  I pulled Blue Book  chose GE profile washer, settled on shaft & hub drive assm repair, quoted $432   ballpark figure.   Customer balked at that.  Then I pulled front panel off to see what drive train looked like, found puddle of oil under "mode shifter"  Customer remarked that's not good & asked if I wanted to buy for parts & here we are now.

I still have yet to repair one of these GE with the inverter motor other than agitator hub,  magnet lid switch, or drain pump.     All major jobs for GE that I come across have been declined because of cost.  They buy new.   Got half a mind to get this just to repair for experience & sell at a loss.

IgonFishn

#9 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:17 AM

Apparently GE in their great wisdom ('WisDom' is the domain of the Wis, which is extinct) made no provision to change the firmware of their inverter based motor. Some of these motors are programmed to treat the mode shifter roughly (applying too much voltage for too long) which results in premature mode shifter failure. This is why GE recommends replacing the motor too. My circumstance is different from most repairmen in that I'm obligated to provide an equivalent appliance to what the resident bought so the ~$300 or so in parts and 3 or 4 hours labor to replace motor and shifter is cost effective for us.

Edited by olyteddy, 13 November 2013 - 01:21 AM.

#10 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:16 PM

I still have not heard the roar for myself.  Have watched some vids and you can see it shifting back and forth in a rough fashion.  I could tell them they need a motor and shifter if I knew they needed both.  I have never tore into one of these either.  Sounds to me if you want to make a sure fire repair, that the only way to be sure and eliminate the problems, is a motor and shifter.  The shifter is not cheap and if you tell the customer its the shifter, yet the motor will tear it up, then you pretty much have to say motor and shifter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bearings, Roaring noise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics