Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

egal421

Maytag Maxima drain trap

7 posts in this topic

I need to clean the drain trap on a maytag maxima model mhw6000xw2, i don't see an access panel. Does the front panel need to be removed? How is that done?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Yes, stupid beancounters and the sales dept thought it would be cheaper and make the front of the machine look nicer if they eliminated the bottom front access panel. 

You remove the top panel, then the control panel, then unscrew the door lock assembly, remove the front door gasket, and then lastly the front panel. You will see the drain pump assembly right there in the front.  If it's too much work and you think you are in over your head, call a professional.

Yes, stupid beancounters and the sales dept thought it would be cheaper and make the front of the machine look nicer if they eliminated the bottom front access panel. 

It wasn't just the beancounters.  Customers take some of the blame here, too.  Whirlpool held focus groups on this and customers overwhelmingly wanted the cleaner look of the front panel without the seam break.  The engineers like it, too, because it also gives more structural rigidity to the cabinet during spin.  

I like the machines with no access panel before and after work lol. They do look nice. Just hate them during the day. Adds 5 minutes to a pump trap clean out.

Adds 5 minutes to a pump trap clean out.

Yep, customers will pay extra for that clean look.  

I like the machines with no access panel before and after work lol. They do look nice. Just hate them during the day. Adds 5 minutes to a pump trap clean out.

If it's a big laundry room, adds 20-30minutrs if in tight quarters.

Yeah. Small laundry rooms make it harder.