Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE fridge CSCP5UGXCFSS

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 herfdog

herfdog

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:23 AM

The cold storage side of this unit is not cooling well, 40º at best. Freezer is okay. Fans are working but can't isolate them or the dampers to check individually. There is a good frost pattern on the evap. The thermistors are the new type. Also, there is condensation on the lower to mid left wall.   

I requested a service manual for this unit and received a mini-manual which does not help in putting it into service mode to check dampers, etc.. I tried the service mode procedure for the other dual evap units but that did not work. Any advice or service mode info is much appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 30,622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:36 AM

What is the actual temperature in the freezer? If it's much above 0F, then we have a sealed system or condenser issue.

If you have 0F in the freezer, then we have an air flow problem.

Accurate temperature measurements in both compartments is always the starting point in refrigerator diagnosis.

#3 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:41 PM

Which part of the evaporator has the good frost pattern, freezer side or fresh food?  The DC fan motor built into the fresh food evaporator cover should be running regardless.  There must be some frost buildup around the evaporator passage through the mullion that would cause moisture to accumulate in the area indicated.

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,786 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

Dual evap so I don't think we have a problem with the dampers....this dual evap style GE has plagued me and quite a few others. Many parts have been thrown at it to no avail.  There has been one almost-common symptom that we should look at...that is the condensation on the lower left side....here is a bulletin regarding ice ball issue found in some dual evap fridges. This bulletin does not specifically list your model but it may be helpful.  First, however, I would replace all thermistors, regardless of the design....okay back to the bulletin. Pertinent part reads:

"Dual Evaporator models, by design, create a high humidity environment in the fresh food section. Although this design improves the preservation of certain refrigerated foods, the potential exists in some units for an ice ball to form in the lower section of the compartment due to excessively cold temperatures and high humidity. The low temperatures are created by gaps around the beverage center duct and along the left side of the Custom Cool air handler cover. These locations can be sealed and the temperature improved using the service kit WR49X10180 (120V heater) or WR49X10175 (220V heater). Refer to the attached kit instructions for the proper repair method"

http://appliantology...rvice-bulletin/

So I am developing a theory that may or may not be anywhere accurate but it is something to consider.   If, as described in the iceball bulletin, gaps can develop around the beverage center duct  causing the left side to become too cold, is it possible that this cold area could bias any nearby thermistors causing the  ff section not to cool or even defrost more than it should?  

then again you could simply have a bad board. lol

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#5 herfdog

herfdog

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:36 PM

What is the actual temperature in the freezer? If it's much above 0F, then we have a sealed system or condenser issue.

If you have 0F in the freezer, then we have an air flow problem.

Accurate temperature measurements in both compartments is always the starting point in refrigerator diagnosis.

Actual freezer temp was zero.

Which part of the evaporator has the good frost pattern, freezer side or fresh food?  The DC fan motor built into the fresh food evaporator cover should be running regardless.  There must be some frost buildup around the evaporator passage through the mullion that would cause moisture to accumulate in the area indicated.

I didn't look at the freezer since it was holding set temp. I just saw even frost on fresh food evap, no build up.

I guess it could be the "ice ball" air flow issue even though I didn't see an ice ball forming. I'll look into that and the thermistors. Thanks to all of you for your replies. Does anyone know how to run diagnostic mode on this unit?

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:40 AM

I also emailed a question to a Ge trainer regarding these problematic dual evaps and their slight rise in temps in the ff section. He indicated that there have been problems with the ff evap fan motor and the sealing of the evap cover. He said to replace them both and that they came together as a kit. I could not find a part number for the kit and never did a follow-up. Maybe replacing both, kit or not, is a way to proceed. I have yet to find someone to try it and report.

#7 herfdog

herfdog

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:00 AM

I also emailed a question to a Ge trainer regarding these problematic dual evaps and their slight rise in temps in the ff section. He indicated that there have been problems with the ff evap and the sealing of the evap cover. He said to replace them both and that they came together as a kit. I could not find a part number for the kit and never did a follow-up. Maybe replacing both, kit or not, is a way to proceed. I have yet to find someone to try it and report.

Replace the evaporator?

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 30,622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

I think Brother Durham meant the FF evap thermistor: http://www.repaircli...55X10025/914093

#9 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:36 AM

no, the ff evap fan motor.... editing just in case someone jumps the gun an orders an evap. lol

#10 herfdog

herfdog

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:04 AM

Thanks for clarifying. It wouldn't be the kit you mentioned earlier, would it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics