Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Fido

Intermittant ice dispenser....

6 posts in this topic

Hello folks,

I have a GE side-by-side model GSL25LGTBBS. The ice maker works fine but the dispenser does not.....

When you press and hold the lever for ice, first all panel lights go off, then it cycles a 0 (zero) displayed in the freezer temp field, then the freezer and frig "set temps" displayed (-5 and 35). It does this anywhere from once to as many as ten cycles. At the end, the solenoid driven ice door opens and the courtesy light comes on but the auger does not run. A few seconds after you finally release the lever, the ice door closes as it should and the courtesy light goes off.

The auger motor is not the problem. On rare occasions, it will dispense ice and if you disconnect the solenoid connector from the back of the control panel, the ice door naturally does not open but the auger motor operates normally with each press of the lever.

I have replaced the ice door solenoid (#WR62X10055) which was not opening the ice door completely, plus the front control panel (#WR55X10880) thinking this was the brains for the entire frig. This is apparently not the case.

Is the problem likely in the icemaker itself or in the main circuit board that is the brains for the entire frig?

Can anyone identify the exact problem?

Thank you

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Mother board failure...plain and simple.

Agree with Brother Kurtius.  Also check for damaged or corroded wiring in the harness at the bottom hinge.  If all looks good, replace the muddaboard.

I've seen a lot of corroded wiring harnesses.

Thanks guys,

No damaged or corroded wires. The motherboard was the culprit. Good fix.

Everything works great now.

Thanks again.