Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

whirlpool direct drive washer will not spin and makes loud scrapping sound

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 robertbird

robertbird

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:bud

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

Have direct drive whirlpool older model LSR 7233DQ0. Spin cycle stopped working. Agitator works, drains just fine.

replaced the Drive block and replaced the clutch and it did not change a thing. When the spin cycle starts it just make a loud scrapping womp  womp sound. If the agitator is working then the motor and gear box should be okay. What am I missing here. I have $100.00 into it already and am not inclined to keep putting money into it if i can't track this down

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

Just because the agitator works, does not mean the gearcase is ok. Run washer in spin mode with cabinet off and lid switch bypassed. Observe the clutch hub and the basket drive up inside the brake hub. If clutch hub does not spin, the gearcase is faulty. If clutch hub spins but basket drive does not, then either the clutch is slipping or there's something wrong with the brake cam driver or the brakes are stuck.

Eric

WhirlpoolClutchHub.jpg

#3 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

I've had two of these this weeek.  Makes a horible noise on spin cycle but doesen't spin.  There is a gear on the agitator shaft and a plastic cam which releases the gear when it goes to spin.  This cam breaking was my problem.  Same symtom as you.  I had a couple transmissions in the shop and interchanged parts to reapair it.  If you have no spare parts then you need to order the transmission shapt that comes with the parts you need and replace your broken one.  Not an easy job if you have never done it.  Other option is to buy a new transmission.  Expensive!  Or shop around and find a good used one.  Good luck

I've had two of these this weeek.  Makes a horible noise on spin cycle but doesen't spin.  There is a gear on the agitator shaft and a plastic cam which releases the gear when it goes to spin.  This cam breaking was my problem.  Same symtom as you.  I had a couple transmissions in the shop and interchanged parts to reapair it.  If you have no spare parts then you need to order the transmission shapt that comes with the parts you need and replace your broken one.  Not an easy job if you have never done it.  Other option is to buy a new transmission.  Expensive!  Or shop around and find a good used one.  Good luck

maybe fairbanks can post a picture

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:30 AM

... When the spin cycle starts it just make a loud scrapping womp  womp sound.

post YouTube video ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:36 AM

post YouTube video ?

I've seen the drive block do that also but you say you already changed that.  Sounds like the transmission to me.

#6 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:55 AM

The agitator cam is available alone, you don't need the whole shaft assembly however I don't believe this is your problem. This should not prevent the basket from spinning but may prevent the agitator from spinning with the basket or make a ratcheting noise if the agitator is partially engaging during spin as in this video. A fully engaged agitate gear would cause the agitator to go back and forth while basket is spinning but would not prevent basket from spinning unless it's full of clothes and they are against the agitator..

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

Eric

Edited by fairbank56, 15 November 2013 - 11:58 AM.

#7 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:05 PM

The agitator cam is available alone, you don't need the whole shaft assembly however I don't believe this is your problem. This should not prevent the basket from spinning but may prevent the agitator from spinning with the basket or make a ratcheting noise if the agitator is partially engaging during spin as in this video. A fully engaged agitate gear would cause the agitator to go back and forth while basket is spinning but would not prevent basket from spinning.

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

Eric

that is true I can't remember if mine were trying to spin or not because it sounded so bad I just shut it off.  His symtums do sound like my trans problem.  We will narrow it down with a little more trouble shooting.  Let's hope it's something eles.   I think if the brake wasn't releasing it would be smoaking hot and probably spin a little too.  Work in progress!  Thanks Eric, now that you mention it I think the tub was trying to spin but the noise was like the washer was exploading.

#8 robertbird

robertbird

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

I took off the outer panel so I could look at the clutch to see if it would spin when the control knob was on the spin cycle. The clutch is not moving or spinning  and all

I get is the loud grinding noise.. It agitates properly and drains properly but does not spin. Can I fix the transmission with the neutral drain pak kit.  I can buy a tranny on ebay for $100.00  I can fix just about anything should I buy the neutral drain pak kit  or just bite the bullet and get the tranny

#9 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

Open up the gearcase and take a look. Might be that the plastic spin gear is stripped, spin pawl on neutral drain plate may be damaged or spin pawl stud may have sheared off.

Eric

#10 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

... When the spin cycle starts it just make a loud scrapping womp womp sound.

post YouTube video ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#11 jambatt

jambatt

Senpai

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:43 PM

Pull the agitator and check to see if inner tub has rusted through. Have had two with this problem this month.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out alive !

#12 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:30 PM

Pull the agitator and check to see if inner tub has rusted through. Have had two with this problem this month.

he said he replaced the drive block.  I'm sure he would have caught that, but thanks that  is always a good place to start.  It's sounding more like the neutral gear at this point.  Not to difficult to change.

#13 robertbird

robertbird

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:17 PM

found a used tranny for 80 dollars....will come tuesday.. I will install and let you know if I need to jump off a cliff if it does not work. This is almost as bad as working on vw passat. But I have to admit this washing machine is 15  years old  and all I have replaced is the rubber gears between the motor and tranny so I am not complaining at all.

The parts guy was talking about washing machines and said the top loading whirlpools are the best made and they have nothing but problems with the

front loader types

#14 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:31 PM

good advice but don't let it get around, those front loaders help us support ourselves. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics