Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Need help "Whirlpool"

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 helpme12

helpme12

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:busch

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:07 PM

I've got a 2 year old Whirlpool "WTW4800XQ2" and the other day it just stopped working. I did the diagnostic test on it and found it to be the actuator part that's located on the bottom of the tub. Well I replaced that and it's still not working. I recalibrated it, and after that completes the door stays locked and the red light just blinks. Now when I do the diagnostic test it doesn't have any error codes.....but the fault code has all the lights lit. I don't know where to find out what these codes mean. Does the washer have a tech sheet located somewhere?.......

Any help is appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,760 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:32 PM

Yes there is a tech sheet inside the washer. There are two screws on the top part of the hinges on the back of the washer. Remove the 2 quarter inch screws. Then the top of the washer will lift up. To lift it up you will have to pull it forward then lift up slightly then it will push back and lift up the rest of the way. The tech sheet is inside the front panel.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#3 MicaBay

MicaBay

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

What were the original symptoms?  Did they change at all after you replaces the shift actuator?  What led you to replace that part?

#4 helpme12

helpme12

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:41 PM

Thanks for the replies, I'm about to start working on it right now.

Thanks appliance man.......I'll check there first.          micabay.......we had a load of sheets in the washer and if I remember right it was at the end of a spin cycle and the lid was locked and the red light was just blinking. We had to unplug the machine in order to unlock the lid. We found that a sheet was tightly wrapped around the agitator.......not sure if that had something to do with it.  

The reason I replaced the part was because I watched this video....... http://www.youtube.c...SUc8dI......and I had the exact same fault and error codes. Now when I go to diagnostic mode I get the fault light with all the other lights lit up........but I don't seem to have any error codes.......I'm gonna take the machine apart and look for the tech sheet to find out what this code is.

THANKS FOR THE HELP........if you have any other idea they are greatly appreciated. I'll chime in after I mess with it today. This machine is fairly new so I'd really like to fix it.

#5 helpme12

helpme12

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

Well I looked up and down and I can't find the "tech-sheet" ..... :(................I'm kind of stuck now.... Anywhere online that I can find this information on fault/error codes?

#6 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

Become an apprentice.

Download it from this site.
http://appliantology...raining-manual/
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#7 helpme12

helpme12

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:24 PM

Ok, thanks Spannerwrench, I believe I did it right. I'm not really a facebook guy......but if I can help you guys help me then I'm all for it.

Guess I just have to wait a little while and see if I check out ;)   Man I hope I can fix this bad boy.

On another note......when I push start to begin a regular cleaning cycle ...the sound it makes is as follows...............click "lid locking".......then a few random clicks "probably some relays?"......about 5 seconds.........click "lid unlocking"......about 5 seconds.....click "lid locks again".....about 2 seconds.....a noise that lasts about 1 second .....its like an electrical buzzing "eerrrr"........then it just stays locked with the red light blinking.....all this time the "fill" light is on.

That was really confusing.........I guess I'm just trying everything.

Thanks.

#8 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

If you put it on just a spin cycle does it try to spin?
The tech sheet isnt inside the cabinet? Shoudl be in the front top left corner. If someone worked on it before they may have taken it. Tech sheet swipers!

Edited by applianceman97, 15 November 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#9 helpme12

helpme12

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:12 PM

No Sir applianceman.................it sure won't.

And no, noone has ever been inside the machine.....I bought it and it has sat where it is since.

I'm gonna wait and see if I can get that info and maybe pull some more codes.......

Technology these days..lol.

#10 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

Is the pulley tight on the transmission? They have had major problems with the nut on the pulley coming loose and can cause similar problems.  You can remove the plastic cover underneath to inspect it. Could also be a bad motor capacitor.

#11 helpme12

helpme12

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

Thanks, I'd have to re-check that in the AM applianceman. I did however spin the motor to make sure nothing was hung up, and it seems that nothing is loose. But I will double check that.

#12 helpme12

helpme12

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:07 AM

Any chance someone could post me a link to the exact one for my machine?

#13 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:51 AM

http://appliantology...heet-w10280489/
Whirlpool Washer VMW
Tech Sheet - W10280489 Rev D

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#14 helpme12

helpme12

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:24 PM

1. Thanks RegUS..!! And everyone else!......I'm gonna check it out and I will let you guys know how it turns out. If I have any more questions until then I'll ask.

#15 helpme12

helpme12

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

I'm getting F7E1.........and it won't do anything when I do the Manual Test Mode "spin" and "agitate"

Since those tests failed I'm not really sure where to go from here.

When I replaced the actuator, was I supposed to clear those codes in order for the machine to work?

#16 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:50 PM

What does it say the code means?

And no you don't have to clear the codes.

#17 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:55 PM

I would look at the motor capacitor to see if it's blown. When you remove it you will be able to tell if it's bad. It will have a big melted spot. (Usually) I would check that next. The error just says it's not sensing basket movement. Had one do the exact same thing. Capacitor was blown.

#18 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet coke

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:42 PM

I would check the lid switch, according to the tech sheet.  do all continuity test.  That code on basket movement may have occured previously.  I have had two units brought to me and both had bad lid switches, there is a manual test mode  to confirm , the lid locking light will flas it will try to lock, but since it does not make the switch it unlocks.  I recently posted some questions on an amana (made now by whirlpool ) (search also on this site VMW) verticle modular washer....  and that post had some good replies on how to test the mode shifter.  Will look for it.

#19 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:47 PM

Amana NTW4600yq.  This was my first time on these units and you'll see i chased some ghost at first,  Brother Eric responds with some great tech info on testing the mode shifter.  hope this helps and good luck.

#20 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:03 AM

Here is where I hope to explain the nature of machines, and how easy you can chase the rabit or ghost.

Some times you see the result of one error,  I e you saw the sheet wraped around the agitator, and said that aint right.  That sheet around the agitor would have set, the basket no turrny, or locked rotor code, which you have found.

Have you looked at the next code?

The lid switch may have broke at the same time, but your mind is picturing that sheet.  This unit wont do squat with a broke lid switch.  I now tell all my customer to treat their lids like a lady, unless they like spending money.  These will not take much just droping the lid down, slaming

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics