Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Stunned and amazed!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ginger ale

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:04 PM

By this video from the Samurai:

How in the hell does an AC motor run off a 9 volt battery?

First, do no harm.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DADoESTX

DADoESTX

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Iced tea with a spike of earl grey

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:54 PM

They're not AC motors.  They run on DC, 12v or some such, IIRC, fed by the motherboard.  It pulses the current rapidly to vary the speed.

#3 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ginger ale

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:53 AM

Either that or 9VDC control voltage, bypassed at the Mutha. I realized that this morning after the Southern Comfort wore off. Still, an amazing video tech tip. The man is a gold mine.

Can we have a look-see at the schematics?

Edited by jb8103, 16 November 2013 - 06:55 AM.

First, do no harm.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:32 AM

These motors actually have a little control board inside of them.  That's why you can't use your ohm meter to test the windings like in a conventional motor.  It's also why if you reverse the power leads from the battery when you test the motor, you'll blow out that little board inside there. 

The schematics are on the minimanual and are virtually the same for all units using the WR55X10942 board (non-inverter compressors).  Although the inverter compressors use a different board, you can test the fan motors the same way.    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics