Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

417.98042701 kenmore dryer motor will not turn the drum

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mlr

mlr

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:18 PM

Commanding dryer on results in a humming noise from the motor and the drum will not rotate.  Motor becomes hot.  Drum, belt, motor shaft and pulley will rotate freely when turned manually by hand, hence nothing appears frozen.  Code 9E results.  9E not listed in document supplied with the unit.  Any idea what code 9E indicates.  Code E5b also was present.  Initial check indicated control thermistor was OK.  Appears the E5b may have been a result of the motor issue.  The electronic control unit appears to be functional as the motor is commanded on.    The unit is three years old, however, it has not been used extensively.  I would find it hard to believe that the motor is already bad.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:04 PM

Commanding dryer on results in a humming noise from the motor and the drum will not rotate.  Motor becomes hot.  Drum, belt, motor shaft and pulley will rotate freely when turned manually by hand, hence nothing appears frozen.  Code 9E results.  9E not listed in document supplied with the unit.  Any idea what code 9E indicates.  Code E5b also was present.  Initial check indicated control thermistor was OK.  Appears the E5b may have been a result of the motor issue.  The electronic control unit appears to be functional as the motor is commanded on.    The unit is three years old, however, it has not been used extensively.  I would find it hard to believe that the motor is already bad.

take off the belt and take out the drum and try the motor.  If it hums, give it a spin by hand.  If it starts then it's a bad motor and if it doesn't start it's a bad motor.  Sounds to me like you have a bad motor.  They don't make them like they used to.

#3 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,874 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:50 PM

You can also test this without taking the drum out.

Hold the door switch in by hand. Have someone turn the start switch, while motor is humming turn the drum by hand to kick start the motor. Will do the same test that electro stated. To some degree. Just a little easier. But like stated above probably a bad motor. I would also take the front off the machine and make sure nothing is wedged in the blower wheel locking up the drum. ( keeping the motor from turning)

Edited by applianceman97, 16 November 2013 - 09:51 PM.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#4 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:05 PM

You can also test this without taking the drum ou

Hold the door switch in by hand. Have someone turn the start switch, while motor is humming turn the drum by hand to kick start the motor. Will do the same test that electro stated. To some degree. Just a little easier. But like stated above probably a bad motor. I would also take the front off the machine and make sure nothing is wedged in the blower wheel locking up the drum. ( keeping the motor from turning)

I think he said it turns freely by hand already.  Good tips on checking it easier.  In this case I'd have the dryer torn down in 5 min. after I'm there.  I forget it's a grasshopper sometimes.  Good call

#5 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,874 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:48 PM

Didn't see that he said it turned. Guess I need to read a little more carefully. Lol

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#6 mlr

mlr

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:38 PM

The dryer now works.  I had removed the connector to pin the wiring out and jostled the motor around.  At some point the internal switch became active after being stuck.  No definitive action but the machine does work again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics