Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Sick of bad install jobs

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

Ok, I really don't need calls like this anymore and I am totally sick of them.  

First call of the day, I go to replace a control panel on a Jenn-Air downdraft slide in range.  Not only did they install ceramic tile around the range, they also siliconed the cooktop of it to the granite countertop, AND installed the anti tip bracket to the floor. The installer also siliconed the back of the cooktop to the countertop.

Mind you I only need to pull the son of a bitch piece of junk range out a lousy 2 inches just to get to the two screws on the sides of the control panel to remove it.

I told the customer it's not by job to take a putty knife and cut all the silcone out between the countertop and the cooktop and risk scratching his granite countertop and I am not going to take blame for accidentally cracking the cooktop when I try to lift the range up to get the front legs above the ceramic tile floor.

Totally sick of jobs like these.

Scott Wolf

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:25 PM

I agree,

"But it looks so nice."

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,865 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

i cracked a glass top due to a bad install. The installer used a splintered piece of broken flooring to support one leg of the range. So when I moved the range, the wood splintered completely causing the left side of the glass stove top to settle forcefully against the granite counter top. Well, I replaced the stove top at my expense. I have yet to complete uttering the 1 million worded gruesome and detailed curse I am heaping on that installer. The customer did, however, leave raving reviews on multiple review sites.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

I broke a glass top last year that had been siliconed to the granite counter top while trying to get it loose with a putty knife. I replaced it at my cost and won't touch the son of a bitches any more. I see it I tell them they'll have to get it loose so I can repair it. That solved that problem.

Now I'm just trying to figure out how to deal with wood flooring in the kitchens. People seem to put these nice glass finished wood floors in kitchen. Refrigerator has a problem and of course they leave the s.o.b full and expect you to pull it out. Hell, just the wheels will scratch it, and you put something under them and it slips and leaves a scuff mark.  I've been thinking about getting a disclaimer for some of these.

Does anyone here ever use a disclaimer?

Edited by tpoindexter, 19 November 2013 - 09:33 AM.

Test

#5 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:47 PM

Yes, we use waiver of liability forms  for calls like that.  Wood floors don't belong in the kitchen or laundry room NOR do they belong in the bathroom.

Scott Wolf

#6 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:12 PM

Yes, we use waiver of liability forms  for calls like that.  Wood floors don't belong in the kitchen or laundry room NOR do they belong in the bathroom.

So do you ask them to sign every job or leave it to the techs best judgement?

Test

#7 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:38 PM

I am the only technician, so I use my judgement.

Scott Wolf

#8 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:26 AM

So, went out on a GE Fridge, 5-10 years old. It was showing symptoms of control board failure and needed to pull it out but couldn't because they installed a window six inches in front of it and put up trim, after it was in place.... Were they thinking this fridge would last 40-50 years without being pulled out???

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,396 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

Lots a wood floors at these multimillion dollah mcmansions around the lake up here. Same problem with pulling refrigerators out without marring the floor finish. Haven't had a claim yet but that's probably as much good fortune as it it being careful. Good idea on the liability waiver.

Can anyone post a scan or text of the liability waivers they're currently using?

#10 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:23 PM

Mine are left over from when I worked at Maytag Factory Service, I just whited out Maytag Factory Service and typed in  my company name. 

Scott Wolf

#11 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:01 AM

Lots a wood floors at these multimillion dollah mcmansions around the lake up here. Same problem with pulling refrigerators out without marring the floor finish. Haven't had a claim yet but that's probably as much good fortune as it it being careful. Good idea on the liability waiver.

Can anyone post a scan or text of the liability waivers they're currently using?

I haven't had a claim. Have decided that it's not a matter of if I will get 1, but, when will it happen. I'm careful, but, the glass finish on some scare the shit outta me. The slightest little thing will leave a mark, even materials your using as protection.

I've started carrying a stain just in case. A guy showed me where you can put stain on a wash cloth and wipe to get rid of light marks. I've had to do it only once. But I was being sneaky and just feel like it's bullshit that I should have to hide that I'm doing it.

With a disclaimer signed I wouldn't have to feel like I was being sneaky. I would instead be helping them for having piss poor judgement in the first place.

Mine are left over from when I worked at Maytag Factory Service, I just whited out Maytag Factory Service and typed in  my company name. 

Scott any way you could scan a copy of that disclaimer?

Edited by tpoindexter, 06 December 2013 - 12:02 AM.

Test

#12 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:48 AM

We get a lot of remodels done here and it seems many of our contractors can't RTFM when it comes to installs. Examples: SXS Fridges up on blocks and shims because they didn't see the leveling screws, Dishwashers screwed into wooden blocks glued under granite counters because they didn't see the side mount option, and my personal favorite (though I haven't had one in a while) is the front load washer with the lock down parts still in them. Boy do those shake!  :woot:

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,396 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

Scott, fax a copy to me and I'll post it here:  866-315-4504

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,396 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

Is Scottthewolf ignoring me?   :kopkrab:  :smileymoon:  :pain30:  :pirate:  :pinch:  :ohmy:   :ninja:   :fart:  :moondance:  :urinate:

#15 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,865 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:25 PM

yep...looks to me like you got the "talk to the hand" treatment

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#16 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

Is Scottthewolf ignoring me?   :kopkrab:  :smileymoon:  :pain30:  :pirate:   :ohmy:   :ninja:   :fart:  :moondance:  :urinate:

some of us work late

(not me) :whistling:

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#17 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,396 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:36 PM

yep...looks to me like you got the "talk to the hand" treatment

Apparently so. We'll see who's around next time STW needs strokin'

some of us work late
(not me) :whistling:

Many of us do work late. However it is known world-wide that STW works 9-5. Go Union! They's what makes Merka competitive with the so-called Third World. (Accepting the premise the Merka is not already a third world).

#18 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:35 AM

OK, OK,  I was not ignoring you, I was still looking for my waiver forms. I can't seem to find where I put them, since I rarely need them anymore. I usually warn them before I even start work on their appliances about the possible damage. Most of my customers will get the installation problem corrected and then call me back.

Scott Wolf

#19 btenpin

btenpin

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Seagrams

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:49 AM

This is the form we use.  I will write out specific concerns on back of form (as noted in body of form) I have them initial both sides of form and sign.

Don't use on every job, just ones that have a higher likelihood of negative outcomes.

Use on built in ovens etc.. as you never know whats lurking behind that appliance.  You never know if it was a professional installer or a "Monkey boy" installer.   

Ok I guess I'm a Monkey boy poster, can't figure out how to attach form

#20 btenpin

btenpin

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Seagrams

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:53 AM

ok figured it out I think

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics