Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Replaced GE Washer, 2 Week Old Hotpoint, Problems Already

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DSCantu

DSCantu

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beer

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:42 PM

I have already called in a Warranty Service call on this issue, scheduled for Friday 22 November 2013.  Please read if you are curious or have suggestions...

I replaced a 1 year old troublesome GE Adora Model # GHWN5250D0WS  with a Hotpoint Model HTWP1400FWW.  I tried to trouble shoot the machine on this forum.  In the end, after yet another failure I replaced through my homeowner’w warranty.  My new machine has already disappointed us by overflowing after working fine for two weeks.   My wife had to turn off the water manually because it was still filling after she turned off the power.  

What I did:  I disconnected the power and wet-vacced all the water on the floor and the interior bottom case of the machine.  I also removed some of the water from the machine so that I could run the drain and spin cycle after ensuring that all internal electrical components were dry.  My son had set the load size on Extra Large, which after the clothes were wet, looked at best like a large load.  I reset the load size to large and restarted the cycle.  The machine operated as it should have with no overfilling except for a loud hum throughout the filling cycle.

From reading some of the forums here, it seems like it is a fill valvepressure sensor or switch failure.    However, I have not dug in to the machine because of the pending Warranty Service call.

Question # 1:  Would setting the load size on a larger setting cause an overflow?

Question # 2:  How often do new machines fail within two weeks of installation?

Question # 3:  What would cause the machine to hum during the filling cycle?

Thanks to all in advance.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

... it was still filling after she turned off the power

if still filling when Power Cord is removed from Wall Outlet ... bad / clogged Water Valve

Any recent House / city street / plumbing work ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 DSCantu

DSCantu

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

if still filling when Power Cord is removed from Wall Outlet ... bad / clogged Water Valve

Any recent House / city street / plumbing work ?

RegUS, my wife turned it off with the knob, she did not unplug machine.  She turned water off to stop flow.  No plumbing work done.

Machine seemed to work fine after I emptied it, drained it, dried it EXCEPT for hum during fill.  Have not attempted to run another cycle.

#4 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

Are you using the new style pressure sensitive water hoses?
OR

Standard washer hoses?

#5 DSCantu

DSCantu

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

Are you using the new style pressure sensitive water hoses?
OR

Standard washer hoses?

Braided stainless steel “upgrade” hoses.  I wasn’t aware there were pressure sensitive water hoses.

#6 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Oberon

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

Braided stainless steel “upgrade” hoses.  I wasn’t aware there were pressure sensitive water hoses.

The hoses that give people problems are usually marketed under the name "floodsafe".  

http://www.startribu.../164400816.html

#7 DSCantu

DSCantu

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:09 PM

Warranty “Service” Call complete.  The diagnostic process:  GE technician asked me what was going on with the machine.  I told him the issue.  This is what I submitted on the online appointment system:

Product Information Product Type WASHER Nature of Problem Leak Description The machine overflowed and spilled water all over the washroom It did not stop filling at all My wife manually shut off the machine to stop water .

Either he wanted to confirm what I submitted on the system, or GE doesn’t communicate with their technicians.  At any rate, he did not do anything else but declare that the problem was the load size selector knob.  He said that it must be reset after each cycle.  The machine does have a reset position on the knob.  I had never heard of a need to do this.  He did say that it should be in the manual.  I checked the manual and did not see any reference to having to reset after each load.  We’ve run two loads since he left after less than 15 minute visit.  The machine appears to be working correctly.  Has anybody come across this issue before?

Thanks all.  Problem “solved’.

#8 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,511 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:35 AM

Absolutely no need to reset the water level switch on each load on any machine that I know of!!!!

One possibility is the water level switch was between settings, depending on the style of the switch, (where they have specific detent position), if the switch is between two setting it puts too much pressure on the diagram for it to switch from empty to full position and would overflow.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#9 DSCantu

DSCantu

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:18 AM

Absolutely no need to reset the water level switch on each load on any machine that I know of!!!!

One possibility is the water level switch was between settings, depending on the style of the switch, (where they have specific detent position), if the switch is between two setting it puts too much pressure on the diagram for it to switch from empty to full position and would overflow.

Thanks Budget, I will look out for this as well.

I told the technician that I thought it was “weird” to have to do that after each load.  My 15 year old son said the exact same thing when I explained to him the process he has to use to do his laundry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics