This post is a safety reminder and a near miss report as well. Hook up the grounds.
Was checking out a Maytag dryer in the shop, I connected a three prong cord, to terminal lug.
I did not bother to hook up that small green ground wire, to the cabinet.
I started trouble shooting unit, had to replace a fuse, I had to lift the lid several times.
I had to clean out the vents, and fan housing after I heard coins bouncing around in the unit, I had the Lid up.
Just shut unit off, cord was still plugged in. I cleaned out the blower, put it back together and start to lowerer the lid.
That is when the sparks start flying.
When I went to lower the lid, unit was still plugged in. The loose ground wire went to a hot wire, L-1, sparks were flying and I was lucky that I did not get electricuted, fried holding that lid in my hand.
There was a lot of burning at hinges and luckly there was more potential diffrence there and I was not the best ground. I'll post a picture later. The circuit breaker did not trip either. It just burned the ground wire and the unit still works
I have worked in maintenance for 18 years in manufacturing, I even mentioned in several post here the Importance of the ground wire, and i did not take my own advice, or do what I preach, or teach. Lucky this time because when the sparks fly you can die. Hook up all ground wires before you work on unit. This was a loose wire.