Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG DLE00442W - Buzz on start occasionally shuts off after about one minute

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 max4677

max4677

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Whatever I made last. Usually.

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

I have an LG DLE0442W that is 5 years old.  It has a habit of making a loud buzzing noise that sounds as if it is coming from the back of the control panel at the rear of the unit when the dryer is started.  The buzzing is quite loud, and lasts anywhere form 5 to 15 seconds and then stops.  Operation appears to be normal otherwise, except for the occasional times where it will act as if you pushed the power button and turns off.

The buzzing has actually been going on for several months now, the the turning off is something I have recently been told about and personally only observed once (today actually).

I have run the service self diagnostic modes listed in the LG service manual and everything seems to check out.  It will heat to the appropriate temperatures in the 4 minutes as noted on test when you press the start button three times.  

I've removed the front door assembly and verified everything is connected properly and cleaned out all visible lint/pet hair build up.  

I've cleaned off the moisture sensor to verify it is clear of lint.  I have also cleaned out the exhaust duct from both sides (it is a straight length of rigid metal that only has to run about 10" to reach the outside vent so it rarely has any build up in it.

I also confirmed that all chassis screws are tightly secured.

The only other problem we have ever had with this unit was that the two screws in the lower center portion of the lint trap holder (also where the moisture sensor is) protruded into the slot for the screen and the felt gasket would tear away allowing the blower to get seriously clogged.  I "fixed" that by removing the two screws altogether and buying a new lint screen.  That was done long before this buzzing started, so I doubt that this is related.  If it is... what type of screws are they so I can get replacements (preferably a bit shorter so they don't ruin another screen)?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:59 PM

<<<I have an LG DLE0442W that is 5 years old.>>>

An older model LG dryer---the first digit of the Serial Number indicates year of build (likely an '03 or '04)

<<<It has a habit of making a loud buzzing noise that sounds as if it is coming from the back of the control panel at the rear of the unit when the dryer is started.  The buzzing is quite loud, and lasts anywhere form 5 to 15 seconds and then stops.  Operation appears to be normal otherwise, except for the occasional times where it will act as if you pushed the power button and turns off.>>>

Most likely causes:

1) One of the 2 springs on the motor *Centrifugal Switch* is missing (an easy repair with a tiny diameter drill bit)

2) Clothing/Lint/Fabric Softener Sheets---on the Blower Wheel (noisy operation and *could* cause motor shut-down)

Edited by john63, 24 November 2013 - 02:00 PM.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#3 max4677

max4677

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:19 AM

Number 2 is ruled out at least for right now.  Right before I posted this, I disassembled the entire fron assembly and except for a very small amount of lint on the head of the bolt at the center of the fan, it is squeaky clean (and we don't use fabric sheets after one did get by the filter and lodged in the fan blades as you describe).  

Number 1 might need more investigation over the extended weekend. When you say it's an easy fix do you mean a pin has disappeared, and the spring may still be there and can be reattached?

Last night, the occaisional shuts off after about a minute became every time is was started and down to 30 seconds.

Not really sure the actual date of manufacture.  We bought it new in summer '08 when our house was built from a local Sears.

#4 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:17 PM

<<<When you say it's an easy fix do you mean a pin has disappeared, and the spring may still be there and can be reattached?>>>

Yes.

If the *spring* is missing---it'll be somewhere in the dryer.

If the dryer was cleaned/vacuumed---the spring may be in the vacuum cleaner.

If both springs are on the motor centrifugal switch (not broken)---you'll likely need a new/replacement Motor...

http://www.repaircli...EL1008A/1330330

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

#5 max4677

max4677

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:47 PM

Got it 90% apart and the report is... inconclusive?  Using the very detailed video you linked along with the manual I have I got it completely torn down to the step where you hold the motor shaft with a set of pliers and then remove the nut from the fan blades (turn clockwise according to the video), but no matter what I tried I could not for the life of me get that nut to budge.  Any suggestions on how to get it to release?  I'm pretty sure my electric impact wrench would do way more harm than good. :)

Fortunately, with the drum out I was able to see straight into the motor assembly that both springs are in fact there and firmly in place.  I sucked out some of the surface dust from the motor coils, fan blades, clutch area as best I could and put it back together.

On the first start attempt the buzz was its normal duration and it continued through its cycle.  A couple of more loads have been successfully run with the buzzing's duration substantially shorter (down to 3 seconds or so tops).  

I took a few pictures and some quick videos that I will have to extract from my work phone later tonight.  Of course, I didn't have it ready on the first try.  

I'm just glad that I got it back together and it is not any worse than when I started!  :woot:

Thanks for your guidance so far an I will get the aforementioned media links available soon.

:thanks:  :pint1:

#6 max4677

max4677

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:51 PM

On the first start attempt the buzz was its normal duration and THEN it continued through its cycle with no further buzzing.

I couldn't find the edit button.  :blink:

#7 max4677

max4677

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:33 AM

Here's a link to several pictures of the motor and chassis with the drum removed as well as three videos of it's operation since putting it back together.

https://skydrive.liv...int=folder,.jpg

First video: no clothes in drum using standard air dry cycle.  Very short buzz before normal sounds

Second video: clothes in drum using standard speed dry cycle.  Identical behavoir

Third video: clothes in drum (show amount in beginning to show that it isn't overloaded) using a custom program of timed dry 40 minutes on low heat. Longer  (louder?) buzz before normal operation.  

The worst instance was not filmed and it is the very first time I powered it up after reassembling it. I used the custom program with empty drum and the buzz had a much longer duration. than in the third video.

It has run more or less as it did in the third video for a few more loads today without any shut downs.

#8 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:15 AM

Early on-set of failing Drive Motor.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#9 max4677

max4677

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:39 AM

Thank you for the follow up.  Sorry for the late reply.  The buzzing has dramatically reduced in frequency, so we are trying to determine when we will be getting the new motor.  I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

1.  Any ideas on how to more remove the fan blade?  The bolt refuses to budge. I guess I could try an electric impact wrench, but I am pretty sure that will do more damage that good.

2.  Could there be any collateral damage if we ride this out too long?  

#10 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:40 AM

1) Reverse-thread

2) No.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,806 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

Early on-set of failing Drive Motor.

Drive motor part link:  http://www.repaircli...EL1008A/1330330

Comes with a 365-day, no-hassle Return Policy:  http://www.repaircli...r/Return-Policy

#12 max4677

max4677

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:16 PM

Looks like we are going to be in the needing it sooner than later camp.  The dryer has started a new set of symptoms.  Now the buzz has a longer duration and then the drum will stop spinning, but the control panel does not shut off as before.  It will stay on with the Drying set of LEDs flashing and if left alone for about 30 seconds to a minute it will restart spinning, but usually repeats this until you shut it off. Reducing the load a bit and power cycling it appears to get it going again.

The link to Repair Clinic has been added to my Amazon Wish list.  Maybe I'll get it for an early Christmas gift! At the very least, hopefully get some cash and put it towards this part.  Should I also get a new belt while I am at it?  The current one didn't appear to be cracked, torn, or missing any ribs like a well worn car belt would look like.

Also, I think the video does mention that the bolt is reverse thread (right turning when facing fan unit to loosen), but it still wouldn't budge.  I'll just revisit when I get the new motor and enlist a second set of hands next time.

Thanks for all the info.

#13 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:32 PM

<<<Should I also get a new belt while I am at it?>>>

Yes---and Drum Rollers as well (4 needed)...

http://www.repaircli...Number=DLE0442W

http://www.repaircli...EL3001E/2700894

Comes with a 365-day, no-hassle Return Policy:  http://www.repaircli...r/Return-Policy

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 17 January 2014 - 07:32 PM.
Added parts warranty statement.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#14 max4677

max4677

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

I just placed the order for the motor only.  We got hit with a very large vet bill right after Christmas so we had to delay this a bit.  I plan on getting the belt and rollers in the near future, but I want to get the motor switched out before the next financial surprise!  I'll be sure to check in after I get it swapped out.

#15 max4677

max4677

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:11 PM

New motor is in.  No buzzing on start.  Keeps running more than 30 seconds.  It is running its first load as I type, and it is significantly quieter as well.  :) My wife is very grateful for your help!  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics