Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

whirlpool cabrio wtw5500xw0 no spin or agitate

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 waianaejohn

waianaejohn

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:48 PM

I've got a cabrio top load washer with no spin or agitate .  I got the diagnostics to go but the AUTO diagnostics stall at the point where shifter moves to AGITATION POSITION, no response.  MANUAL diagnostics seem ok until the spin or agitate group then .....nothing .  Lid LED is lit

Tech sheet says go to 3a Drive system shifter and 3b drive system motor.   I get 2300 ohm across shifter motor J16 -1,2 - ok

then says go to J16-1 and 16-2 for motor 120vac and activate via manual diagnostic.  No 120VAC response there, so "replace main board "

My question is  (before visiting the landfill)  could the main board be healthy, but not energizing the motor because of a rightfully missing condition/input ?  I see optical  sensor, shifter switch, shifter position input, and rpm input on diagram as possible candidates.

save the landfill !  I don't want to invest $200 in a main board blindly, im skeptical it will burn, or fail to fix the condition !!! 

thank youuuuuu !

btw...... operationally when when washer is run in regular,  nothing happens (lid lite  is lit) but I hear a relay-like click every 3 seconds coming from somewhere near the motor

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:57 PM

Check for breaks in the wiring harness, especially where the wires are coiled in a circle and at the capacitor underneath the tub.

Scott Wolf

#3 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:37 AM

when its supposed to be shifting is it actually? shifters are a common failure on these machines especially in a damp basement.  what error codes are stored?

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:40 AM

You have got to talk to the computer in these machines-- it simply not an option.  If you don't talk to the computer and get error codes, you're just flailing around in the dark.  Needlessly.  These machines practically troubleshoot themselves.  

As Brother sh2sh2 mentioned, mode shifters are a common failure.  Here's the part link to it if that proves to be the case with yours:  http://www.repaircli...0006355/1719787

#5 waianaejohn

waianaejohn

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

some amplification on diagnostics:  

AUTO diagnostic - the sequence stops at " shifter moves to agitation position " , tech sheet sends me to MANUAL test  for gentle or heavy agitation, which also fails

FAULT CODE F7 E5 shifter fault displayed , "main board cannot determine position of shifter " tech sheet says

check wiring, motor to board to shifter  (in progress),  

observe shifter operation 

what am i supposed to see ? and just what does the shifter do ?  I'm guessing it mechanically switches transmission from spin to agitate???

F7 E5 leads to test 3a & 3b shifter system, consisting of

1) shifter functional check:

basket turns freely, yes

visual check j12 j16 at main board (shifter /motor/drain), yes

2) shifter motor check:

J16 1-2 2500 ohms across shifter, yes

VOM at J16 1-2     NO 120 VAC  TO SHIFTER,  FAIL

here the test sends me to step 17, replace main control

NOTE: here I activated agitate/spin change via combinations of manual tests  9/10/11/12 (low /hi spin gentle/heavy agitation ) with lid LED ON , and got NO 120VAC at J16 1-2, the main board shifter output to shifter . 

I didn't continue on to the remainder of test 3a and motor 3b because tech sheet says no power J16 1-2, replace main board.   .....I noticed the diagram shows a relay for shifter120VAC on main board, which may well be the culprit.

remaining untried  tests 3a /3b:

shifter 5vdc

optical sensor

harness continuity

test 3B motor , all

also ...I am checking voltage via back of connectors while still connected.  The tiny square access holes on connector back look like they take a special probe  -   you all use any special probe or just spear the wire insulation? 

OPERATIONALLY  when I try to use machine I have no fill,  hear relay-like clicking every 3 seconds coming from motor area (not the board) when I try to operate the machine normally w/ water w/o clothes.   might that be the shifter shifting ?   SENSING is lit steady, end of story no further response from the machine. 

thanks !

#6 waianaejohn

waianaejohn

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:53 PM

hey thanks for the shifter pic...I see its a 3 rpm AC motor with a controller and what looks like a plastic  (actuator) arm.   I gather the arm moves back and forth from agitate to spin, right?   Am little reluctant to stick my head under there, maybe an inspection mirror works better .....

#7 waianaejohn

waianaejohn

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:14 PM

UPDATE   I energized washer, no water connection,  tilt the washer over and there's the shifter, doing its thing!

it cycles  CW then CCW and produces  click at one extreme, driving a plastic arm , then times out after a few cycles.  So it is getting 120VAC. and so much for the diagnostic, maybe my probe missed or diagnostic just didn't energize motor.  onward.   So now the brain isn't getting the news  (wiring/sensor?) or the main motor is fried .  I'll follow up w/rest of the shifter and motor tests.

#8 waianaejohn

waianaejohn

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:51 PM

on the manual diagnostics   - this model has no numerical readout
I can tell im in the right area because
the pump works on the pump test
in the pump test the indicator beeps twice and the LEDs flash as the pump turns

when i get to the manual spin and agitate tests, the lid LED does NOT turn on,
certain LEDs (indicating the test no.) flash, and ....nothing.  
I can force the red lid LED ON by selecting test 00 - it stays on thru the
4 spin/agitate tests, leds blink normal as above and .....nothing.
 Lid is closed thru all this.

optical sensor tests 12vdc ok at shifter connector
5 vdc @ shifter switch seems ok at shifter as i rotate drum
harness ohms out ok back to main board

shifter cycles constantly back and forth whenever i energize washer
 then times out.  theres a CRACK in the white plastic shifter linkage to transmission.

washer tub/pulley moves by hand ok and once took a single jog as shifter timed out

could a cracked shifter arm do all this???  or maybe the transmission seized up and killed shifter linkage

just wondering

#9 waianaejohn

waianaejohn

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:03 PM

belay my last, shifter is NOT  cracked ,  after a close look, off the machine  

#10 waianaejohn

waianaejohn

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

so  the shifter cycles  thru several cycles as soon as you energize washer: it doesn't seem to know when to stop.  The original error was "shifter doesn't move to agitation position"  where AUTO diags died .  Error code, after clearing codes,  is  F7 E5 Shifter Fault ,  main control cannot determine position of shifter"

shifter linkage to transmission moves by hand : move linkage lever  CCW,   tub turns as I rotate pulley*

move linkage lever CW,  tub is disconnected from pulley , just sits as I rotate pulley

*sounds like small rocks in the outer tub as I rotate it on its side,  guess I have to look into THAT now !

According to tech sheet schematic, shifter has 2 inputs to the brain :

1)  a switch that goes to brain input "shifter position input"

2)  an optical sensor that goes to brain "rpm input "

shifter also has 120VAC/ 13 VDC/ 5 VDC which are present

if the whole thing is working I think I should see +5, 0 VDC at the brain J2-1 blue wire  "shifter position input"  as it shifts.  this is in the tech sheet step 9 "shifter switch test", which relies on the manual diagnostic to switch from spin to agitate mode, during which the switch just sits there and cycles idiotically . so maybe thats  it?? 

and whats up with the pink optical sensor wire to shifter assy?  its like 20 ft long all coiled up-- looks like the designers are on crack,  maybe its keeping the optical sensor working,  functioning like a resistor?

So the  faulty shifter isn't telling the brain where it is? or bad brains? whos on first?  I'll order a shifter.

Conclusion:

theres nothing like putting a cheaply made, probably poorly tested circuit board in the middle of things and surrounding it with cheap sensors and questionable wiring and charging extra for all the bells and whistles. Related : I had a duet that broke due a faulty circuit board brain design  ......some sharp individual posted a fix where you add one pull-up resistor, 50cents,  to correct the bad design.  Whirlpool wont acknowledge anything, but will sell you another faulty board if you like .  waaaaaaa   I'll keep my 1970s maytag. 

#11 waianaejohn

waianaejohn

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

I cleaned the optical sensor, rotor and reassembled the machine

I notice the manual diagnostics get to the spin /agitate steps and they don't respond like other tests.....I get 2 beeps when I start, all LED string flashed 3 times and then the LEDs change to the selected test number and stay on until I manually end test .  I guess that is computer for FAIL.

Error code is same as before F7 E5...... shifter  position unknown soooo,  new shifter

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:27 PM

Error code is same as before F7 E5...... shifter  position unknown soooo,  new shifter

And so we come full circle back to where we started:  http://www.repaircli...0006355/1719787

#13 mark mac

mark mac

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:36 PM

replaced the wire harness shorted

#14 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:39 PM

Told ya so!

Scott Wolf

#15 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:51 PM

Whaddya mean, told ya so? Ain't nuttin' so until the fix is in, homes!

#16 waianaejohn

waianaejohn

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:45 AM

THANKS you were RIGHT !....a new shifter is in it appears ok EXCEPT for the HOWLING bearing noise on spin...

this is a wtw5500xw0 cabrio and it doesn't appear to have a bearing kit like the better models do, although it does have a gearcase and a couple of external bearings below the tub......can this be repaired ?

#17 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:15 AM

Transmission only available as a complete unit, no parts available.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#18 waianaejohn

waianaejohn

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:11 PM

any opinion as to the reliability of these cabrio units, whether they are worth an investment like this ?  

Reason is my other  washer is circa 1980 maytag still running ... Im wondering.maybe money is better spent on an older unit in the long run  ?? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics