Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

RK746GP1 Hotpoint dual oven

Hotpoint RK746GP1 DUAL OVEN

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MTC(SS)

MTC(SS)

Samanera

• Professional Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud light

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

I have a few questions about a Hotpoint dual wall oven model RK746GP1. My mother who lives several states away has this appliance.  The top oven is not working at all and the bottom oven is off calibration by 50' F according to the repairman she called.  Apperantly he calibrated the bottom from 85'F off to 50' F. 

What componets will cause calibration to be off? 

My thought on both issues is to replace the temp sensor and the controller.  Does this sound correct with the limited info I have provided? 

Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,377 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

Oven sensor is the most obvious and common culprit:  http://www.repaircli...B21X5301/252618

You can test it my measuring its resistance from its harness connector on the ERC.  Should get about 1080 at room temp (defined as 71F).  There are various temperature resistance data tables out there that list the resistances at various temperatures.  All oven sensors work the same way.

Also have to question how the guy did the calibration.  It actually takes a significant amount of time and an expensive instrument to do a proper calibration.  I use a Fluke T2 dual channel thermocouple instrument-- Dacor recommends that their servicers use this specific instrument.  But most guys don't want to plunk down $300 for one of these.  You then have to set oven temp at 350F and wait and record three iterations of  control cycling temperatures off and around the set point.  Can take almost an hour.  I charge a minimum of $175 for oven temperature calibrations, more for double ovens.  

#3 MTC(SS)

MTC(SS)

Samanera

• Professional Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud light

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:10 PM

I appreciate the information.  I too question the calibration.  The information I got was third hand possibly even fourth.   

How 'bout the one that's playing dead?  One controller for both ovens.  I see at "Repair Clinic" that they have stopped manufacturing the particular controller.  Do you all repair or remanufacture controllers? 

Thanks I realize how difficult it is to troubleshoot 1000 miles away especially when the information source is also a 1000 miles away from the appliance with sketchy info at best.  Thanks for your help. 

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,377 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

How 'bout the one that's playing dead?  One controller for both ovens.  I see at "Repair Clinic" that they have stopped manufacturing the particular controller.  Do you all repair or remanufacture controllers? 

No bake or broil in the top oven?  Makes me suspect an open hi-limit in the circuit.  Check the schematic to see if there's a hi-limit bimetal in the heating circuit for the dead oven.  If so, then check it to see if it's open.  

If no hi-limit in the circuit, then you'll need to check the output from the ERC to the bake and broil elements.  Seems less likely to me because you'd be talking about two bad relays on the board instead of just one.  Still could happen but would be unusual.  

We don't rebuild board but check with Fixyourboard.com

#5 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,790 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:46 AM

Lower oven has a mechanical t-stat and being a Hotpoint/GE most likely no adjust screw in center of t-stat to adjust, most likely just an adjustment of +35 to -35 degrees by changing the adjustment on the back of the oven t-stat knob, (was 85' off, changed by as much as possible 35' = still 50' off).

Could have a double line break relay bad on the oven controller for the top oven which would be just one part to fail and cause both bake and broil to not work or as Samurai said, check the tech/wiring diagram for hi-limit t-stats that might be common to both bake and broil for the upper oven.  Looking at the parts for this unit on RepairClinic it looks like there are 3 different limit t-stats, one would be up in the console area and the other two most likely on the back of the oven, (one for each oven).   None of them have a reset button and I don't know if any are a thermal cutoff that won't reset when cooled down.  Even if they are the type that reset themselves they could be bad.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 27 November 2013 - 06:50 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics