Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE - Samsung Ice Maker Substitution Question

GE Samsung ice maker

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,956 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:11 PM

Need to replace the ice maker in a Samung-built GE fridge.  The GE part number for the ice maker is WR30X10097 and costs almost $200.  The Samung part number for the identical-looking ice maker is DA97-05422A and is almost half the price.  Question is, does anyone know if the Samsung part will actually connect in the GE-labelled fridge?  I know Samsung plays games with the harness connector and I don't know if that's the little "gotcha" in this case.  Anyone have a way of knowing for sure?  

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:22 PM

I wish I could remember. I replaced a lot of the ge ones. I can't remember ever trying to sub one out for the other. I'll ask some of former coworkers.

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,956 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

Thanks, Bryan.  

I saw over at another site that the DA97-05422A is supposed to be a direct replacement for use in the GE models though the specific model I'm working on was not listed.  

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

Yes, if you type both part numbers into that famous auction website (x Include Description)

There are a few results from a few sellers.

Edited by RegUS_PatOff, 27 November 2013 - 02:22 PM.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,956 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:18 PM

Domo, Reg.  Confirms what I was seeing.    

#6 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

I remember swapping over harnesses on a couple Samsung icemakers that weren't matching. Inside most are identical. I couldn't get anyone to confirm for if both ice makers are interchangeable, but a few guys said they thought they were though.

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,044 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:38 PM

I would imagine they are interchangeable. Samsung's stated position is that they are not trying to make money from selling parts. GE feels otherwise. Therefore the discrepancy in price

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 27 November 2013 - 08:41 PM.

Appliantology is, however appliances are not, an exact science for I know there are a few refrigerators that actually hate me.

The simplest explanation is most likely the correct and least expensive one, unless it's your compressor or motherboard" Occam as an appliantologist

"When you have eliminated all the impossible, whatever remains, however implausible, must be the logic truth; unless it's your compressor or motherboard." Mr. Spock as an appliantologist

"I think, therefore I have no earthly idea why this thing is not working...I got nothin'...". Rumored to have been uttered by a frustrated Descartes while diagnosing his GE Profile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics