Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Defective customer #1 of 2

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:36 AM

Picture this....

A stacked frontloading set of Frigidaire washer and dryer. A laundry room aprox 6' by 8'. The vent is connected to a plastic bin right beside the dryer. Guess what the complaint is....

I guess this part in the installation guide was kinda vague...

"Unit must be vented outside the home"

For an added bonus, another service company has been out a few times and replaced the thermostats and moisture sensor.

And the icing on the cake was trying to explain this to some phone rep from Electrolux. My guess she was in India. 

I just don't have the patience to deal with this stuff. I just lay it on the line, It will NEVER EVER work right installed that way.

Nick
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 stayathome

stayathome

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 05:48 PM

I have a question about this, since I live in an apartment and would like to know how I can possibly have the venting my dryer needs. There is no way that I can have this dryer vented near an outside area, and I cannot afford to live in a house, where this would be possible.

In an ideal world, wouldn't apartments that have washer/dryer areas be built in order for outside venting to be possible? Sadly, as we all know, there is neither an ideal world nor ideal customer complaints. I just think it's unfair to blame the customer when the arcitictural geniuses who build apartment complexes are really the ones at fault. We just try to adapt as best as we can, that's all.

Is there any way to make this adaptation easier on our appliances and on both sides of the customer/technician relationship?

#3 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 22 January 2006 - 03:44 AM

The problem is...

The machine is designed to send the hot moist air outside, and to take in dry room temp air and heat it for drying. If you vent the dryer into the laundry room you get a few problems. Her room was 6 feet by 8 feet, so the problem is more pronounced than it would be in a larger room.

First, the machine is taking in hot moist air instead of dry room air. This causes the area of the machine where the thermostat is mounted to get hot quicker than normal so the heat is cycled off real quick. In other words you get real short heating cycles. Plus, there is nowhere for the moisture to go. The moisture just keeps cycling from the dryer to the room and back in the dryer. The clothes get hot, but it takes hours to get anything dry.

Basically, the dryer is now a humidity cabinet . Even models with auto drying or moisture controls will not work in these conditions.

My issue was the customer expecting a repair person to "correct the problem". She was using the machine in a manner that went against the manufacturers instructions and local building codes. The machine was designed and certified by Underwriter's Laboratory only for the installations described in the manual. I didn't build the machine, or design her Condo. It's not like there is a solution, and I'm just a bad person that won't tell her.

Expecting a repairman to "make it work right" under these conditions isn't reasonable. It''s not like there is some part I can change to correct the issue, the machine is fine, it's just not installed properly. Only an exterior vent will solve her problem.

They do make dryers that don't require an external vent. They are usually small and expensive, but they are designed to work without venting to the outside. 
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#4 iceman

iceman

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 07:10 PM

Not to mention that operating the dryer in that manner quite likely compromises your home insurance coverage, and is putting your family at risk for toxic mold growth. 

One way to make it work would be to pipe the exhaust through a dessicant filter, provided you don't mind changing the dessicant beads every 15 minutes.  I am offering such a filter, in kit form, for US$1000.00 plus $149.00 shipping and handling. The kit includes the dessicant fliter only, you will need to supply piping and foil tape yourself. Includes detailed instructions and complete disclaimer sheet.

Abbreviated disclamer:

"Not intended for use with electric or gas fired cloths dryers.  Does not comply with most local building codes.  Dessicant beads may discharge gasses toxic to humans if they come into contact with DHMO (dryer exhaust gases have a very high concentration of DHMO).  Flow blockage from dessicant filter could create a fire hazard when connected the the outlet vent of cloths dryer.  Sinificant risk of loss of life.  Do not eat the dessicant beads.  Do not eat the cloths dryer.  Not for use with cloths dryers.  Typical results only, your mileage may vary."

Any takers?

Seriously though, here is an excellent article or two on the subject of making your laundry room safe.  Here is one on making the perfect laundry room
iceman

#5 Kiwi-nadian

Kiwi-nadian

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:31 AM

Only a Technician picks up:shock: the cause of the fault, rather than jive turkeys:huh: who replace the busted parts on the dryer and don't isolate the real problem.

As for the venting issue, if your laundry has a window, open it!  Even better, get an expanding hose attached to the vent (not ideal, but sometimes the only option) and feed this out the window.  I do realize these solutions are all window related, but if there is no way to put an external vent in (ask the landlord if it is possible), it is the only way.  If no such window exsists in the laundry, move the dryer to a room with a window.  It creates a more efficient dryer, and a safer, healthier home for you and your family:crybaby:, which is the most important thing (but being more efficient means it doesn't take as long to dry which means you save money, which is also a good thing)
please help us to help you, http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#6 Dan Webster

Dan Webster

Paw Paw

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Busch

Posted 03 February 2006 - 06:17 PM

you cant win in a senario like this , but can you?  how about changin the controling thermostat to bare minimum temp ,so as to to do the job, but take a hell of a lot longer? the clothes will dry right?
"May the hinges of our friendship never grow rusty"
-old Irish saying

Buy me a Beer: http://web.me.com/ze...man18007260692/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics