Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

WRT779REYW00 whirlpool Refrigerator water dispenser

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet coke

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:05 PM

Got a call to go out on this, I was looking at parts list and diagram, see there is two water valves availiable, Does this unit have just one water valve for the Icemaker and water dispenser.? Whats the difference in the two sol.

I have not seen the unit, so I'm guessing there are tees coming off the water sol, goes to filter housing, and the other up to Icemaker, I dont see them on parts list .

The customer said another appliance person came out awhile back and drilled out a port, not sure where, filter housing.

Does the solonoid have a screen, Im going to look at some of my spare used parts,

I plan to rig up a pressure guage to make sure I have the 35 psi.

He said he just put in a new filter, I have the instructions to pugre of air, and the remove the filter and see if flow increases

Any history of installing a new filter and it is bad or plugged from get go?

Can the filter housing go bad, has it got screens ?

I'm thinking it has a bad inlet solonoid (water) weak not opening valve 100%

May be able to pick one up but need to know why there is two on parts list (Appliance parts pro)
only has pic of one

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:33 PM

When they don't have a picture I ask question. Got my answer on the water inlet sol, w10279866 is a double sol/valve and the one I would need because the model has water in the door. Still if you have found some little thing that could stop good flow, let me know.

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,106 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:54 AM

You have a two part valve system.. a dual chambered valve and a single chambered pre-valve.   Water goes from the spigot to the  pre-valve then when energized by the dispenser or icemaker, the water  flows from the pre-valve to the water filter and then from the water filter to the dual valve then depending on whether the dispenser or ice maker energized the valves,  to either the icemaker or water dispenser. 

You probably do not need both.  Normally,  if either the icemaker or dispenser is working,  you would replace the dual valve but if your dispenser is slow it is possible the prevalve is bad since it still may send sufficient water to make full ice cubes.  I usually test both with a cheater. However,  you may consider buying both anyway since they are good parts to keep on your van. 

I am not sure why someone would drill a port on this fridge. What was the initial reason your customer needed the previous repair person? If it was related to water or ice,  then possibly that repair guy installed the water line or replaced the dual system with a single valve which would require bypassing the filter for either ice, water or both but it would necessitate drilling two screw holes to support the new valve.  Otherwise I have no idea why he would be drilling anything. 

btw,  check for water dispenser line freezing by disconnecting the line as it enters the door and see if water runs freely from the disconnected line when you activate the dispenser. Also check your water pressure.. 

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 28 November 2013 - 04:54 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:50 AM

Thanks durham, I will be going out there without parts, but what youve told me should help me be accurate as to the problem. I have to get approval for the part anyway. These parts are a common part number for whirlpool, is what your saying. I'm still trying to get up a good inventory, and get my prices right. I'll get there or get a part time job, lol, sales of units have slowed down for now.

#5 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:30 PM

Went out , the customer said it use to flow real good,  the flow I saw looked good to me, but he had seen better.  Told him I would order the double valve, may be weak now.  I also mentioned that this may have shown up because of city line pressure drop, he said his shower still is the same.  Have to get approval for the parts through rental company anyway.

I tried to get the dispenser off the door, and stopped, did not just pop out like I thought it would, noticed someone had already cracked the thin outside ring.

I had removed the two screws in the bottom of the display, but that didnt allow any thing to just pop out either.

Need a service manual, showing how to remove it properly. if any one has it, parts diagram doesent explain how the cheap plastic parts snap in place LOL

#6 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:00 AM

The simple little things make me think I'm dumb..  I have searched for how it comes apart, now i went back to the parts diagram and looked again.  Has anyone had it apart, worked on this model.  Durham trying to check the water line as you said.

Looks like to me the expensive to replace silver trim, is fastened to the housing, by clips and can only be( should only be attempted to be removed) if the dispenser housing has been removed first.

On the interface panel underneath I found the two hex heads, remove them, then do you pull up from the bottom, and the panel will come out of the trim slots,  looks like four tabs.

I found the two screws under drain plate,  remove them, and then is the dispenser housing free to come out bottom first as well (after removing interface)

Was trying to get to the spigot, to see if it has any sort of screen (saw pictures of older model ones with a screen) or blockage

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,106 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:36 AM

I'm not understanding why you are accessing the dispenser. Check the valve and then disconnect the line where it enters the door. Then close the door and press the dispenser actuator to see if water exits the disconnected line. If valve and line are fine, then check out the dispenser.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 30 November 2013 - 05:37 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#8 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:25 AM

Went out , the customer said it use to flow real good,  the flow I saw looked good to me, but he had seen better.  Told him I would order the double valve, may be weak now.

Dont think I have a Ice up problem, but wondered if someting may have got in the line past the filter. Just want to do a visual inspection of the lines where possible. Think the reduced flow is the weaker valve.

If this was not a customer complaint, and I walked up to get water, I would not say, oh your dispenser is putting out a low volume of water. He had a faster flow than he has now, and since this is under a rental contract, he doesnt think he should have to wait 10-15 seconds more for his full glass. He said it use to shot out of there, hit towards the side of the glass, not just a downward flow.

To many this is petty, I agree, but also solving a small issue like this reminds those who had some classes on friction loss, pressure drop, and hose size, temp differential, to try and go in and make it perfect again. The port in the valve could be partially blocked by some small accumulation of minerals/hardness or the coil is now weaker, not getting a full 100% opening (porportional). All that is said, and it's just a darn water dispenser that seems to be working fine to the rest of the world lol.

#9 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:46 AM

A properly flowing dispenser with good water pressure should be able to fill an 8 oz. glass in 8-10 seconds - usually about an ounce per second.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,848 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

A properly flowing dispenser with good water pressure should be able to fill an 8 oz. glass in 8-10 seconds - usually about an ounce per second.

Nice nugget of knowledge to tuck away.  Domo, Willie.  

#11 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

New tools needed to be professional, stop watch and a measuring cup with oz increments,  lol.  Use to do this with dye pumps that made your dogs food, a pretty color, so you would buy it..  the dogs could care less about the color, they eat the moistest pieces first.

That is good to know information. I got the approval to fix it.  

I shall be loaded for bear, 

after I make the repair

and purge the air

Stop watch and measuring cup will prove it was fair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics