Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

jai2

burned string windings on new pump motor w10428168

10 posts in this topic

I have now installed 2 pump motors, which within 30-45 sconds, begin to burn the string windings. Upon inspection of the motor and windings, the string loops have lost tension or burned thru. Some of the strings are 1" long and removeable. The motor runs, pump sounds normal, but smoke and burning smell cause me to disconnect the power after the 30 -45 seconds. The motor housing does not feel hot or even warm to the touch. The windings do not smell burned. I'm sure I'm putting the pump and motor assmbly in correctly, and the motor turns freely by hand when I finger spin the vanes on the bottom of the armature. I have found a post on your site from 2010 that spoke to this, but no real explanation of why and if this is a common or normal occurrence.  The electrical circuit is 110v, single phase and has its own breaker. Is the motor defective ? Help please, and thanks

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

does the Motor run during those 30 seconds ?

D/W model number ?

Edited by RegUS_PatOff

Sounds like the start winding isn't being taken out of the circuit fast enough.

This is a Kenmore Elite dishwasher model # 6651979 - 9??, numbers scuffed. The motor runs when powered. The dishwasher was in a cancel/drain cycle when the original pump/motor unit was removed. domo arigato

... This is a Kenmore Elite dishwasher model # 6651979 - 9??,

are there (3) digits in front of that model number ?

(from the model number sticker inside the Door)

sorry, the model # is 665-15979 with 2 more scuffed digits. thanks for your patience.

Two questions please : 1) Can the controller board be tested, and 2) Can the dishwasher operate after the string is burned off or removed ? There are no uncoated windings visible on either of the motors, and after the first one burnt the string, I assumed that the motor was defective. The second one did the same thing, so each motor has less than a minute of operation. I hate to just replace parts in the hope that the problem will be solved. Thanks

... Upon inspection of the motor and windings, the string loops have lost tension or burned thru.

... smoke and burning smell cause me to disconnect the power

... The motor housing does not feel hot or even warm to the touch.

... The windings do not smell burned.

the strings are used for Motor assembly ..

how can the strings smoke and burn if the Motor isn't getting warm ?

everything may be OK

Edited by RegUS_PatOff