Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

AMANA WASHER PROBLEMS!!!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KBeck

KBeck

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 03:01 PM

I have an Amana washing machine,
> Mod#  ALW480DAW
> Mfg Mod# PALW480DAW
>
> During the spin cycles I noticed it to leak from the top rear.  I
then
> noticed that the water was actually spinning up and out of the tub at
the
> rear. It collects at the filler hose channel then shoots up and out
of the
> tub to the rear of the cabinet.  As this happens the motor begins to
sound
> strange (seems to have a hard time spinning the tub).  The motor will
usually
> then shut down for 10-15 minutes before it will work again
(overheated?).
> I've taken it apart, tightened all the hoses and reassembled.  I
would think
> if the water was hitting the belt and slipping, the motor would have
an
> easier time spinning, not harder.  Do I have 2 problems?

---The belt stays dry during this but does get pretty hot

---As far as the water goes, I have tried different  load sizes and found about 10-12 oz of water spills out no matter the load size. 

PLEASE HELP              Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,679 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 11:52 PM

Replace the drive belt, the special cloth coating has worn thru and now the inner rubber core of the belt is gripping the motor drive pulley to tight and spinning the tub full of water causing the water to overflow and the motor to overheat.

If you look at the old belt, you should be able to see the difference of the v-surface of the belt and the back of belt where no wear takes place. The complete belt should look like the unworn back side of belt.

The slipping belt is this machines clutch system. The motor can be running at full speed and only turning the spin basket at a slow speed until all water is drained out and then basket can come up to full spin speed.

DO NOT try to replace the belt with one from an auto parts store, you will have the same problem.

Here's where to get the part you need: CLICK HERE
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:12 AM

This is something I've mentioned on here before. There is a phenomenon with these called "aggressive spin" which creates exactly the symptoms you describe. Basically, the belt grips the transmission pulley too firmly and spins the tub faster than the pump can remove the water, resulting in the water coming out the top like a fountain. As Willie says, use only the factory replacement belt, which is coated to provide the correct resistance/slippage.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#4 KBeck

KBeck

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:00 AM

Thanks Guys,  I will give it a try

#5 KBeck

KBeck

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 10:27 AM

I got the belt yesterday, put it on today, worked beautifully.   The pump pumped less violently, the tub spun slower and more controlled,  and not a drop of water leaked out.   THANKS A TON FOR YOUR HELP

Ken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics