Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore washer 110.29822800

Washer fills with hot water All temperatures hot

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:32 PM

The complaint on this machine is all cycles & all temperature the water fills with hot water.   I don't think it is the cold water solenoid, rather the electronic temperature switch.  Is there a way to test this switch?  Also I read somewhere, I don't remember where, how to test the load sensor switch.   I replaced those for spin, dead, and agitate issues, really by trial & error.  If someone can lead the way...

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:38 PM

Not sure about testing the ATC but here's something:

Whirlpool Service Pointer L8178746 - Hot water may enter when cold water is selected

Customer concern:  Hot water may enter when a cold wash or rinse cycle is selected.  The technician has verified that the water inlet hoses are installed correctly.

Cause:  Units with an Automatic Temperature Control Switch have a feature that will electronically regulate the hot and cold water supply if it senses that the hoses are reversed.  The software in the switch may be out of calibration and could trigger the automatic hose reversal feature at too low of a temperature.

Correction:  Order and replace the ATC switch.  All of the parts in Whirlpool's inventory have been reprogrammed to correct the temperature calibration.

#3 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Oberon

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

Bruther Duff has nailed it!

They had another pointer out that said "siphoning" could also cause the ATC to go out prematurely.  

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:20 PM

Domo, Brother PDuff!  Link to the hot water cold water bulletin:  http://appliantology...rvice-bulletin/

ATC switch needed to correct the problem:  http://www.repaircli...0179666/1471455

They had another pointer out that said "siphoning" could also cause the ATC to go out prematurely.  

Brother Thirsty, if you have a bulletin number on this one, I'll upload it, too.  

#5 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Oberon

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

Domo, Brother PDuff!  Link to the hot water cold water bulletin:  http://appliantology...rvice-bulletin/

ATC switch needed to correct the problem:  http://www.repaircli...0179666/1471455

Brother Thirsty, if you have a bulletin number on this one, I'll upload it, too.  

Ya know, now I'm wondering if it was just mentioned in update training a few years a go. 

#6 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

I had first thought about that problem but didn't think it applied to this washer. This Kenmore is an 09 model. The switch problems were all in 06 and 07 models with the bulletin coming out in 08. Also, in rinse mode, cold water valve is selected directly, not through ATC switch.

Eric

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,190 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

Ya know, now I'm wondering if it was just mentioned in update training a few years a go.

Welcome to my world, where memories come to die.

#8 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:01 PM

Thirsty's right.  I thought that a pointer or update on drain hose siphoning was issued years ago but I couldn't find it.  Found it in the new Search Center.  Service Pointer W10611623 issued May 2013.  May 2013....really? 

#9 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:05 PM

Eric, I was thinking that as well.  The IPL shows both the ATC and Auto Sense Switch used in this model.  I think I remember the same issue on a Maytag that had both switches around that time frame.  :kopkrab:

#10 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:19 PM

The siphon issue was also in the second half 2010 service update UD-40, W10349156

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,190 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:38 PM

Domo for the P/Ns on the pubs, mah bruvahs.  

Drain hose installation pointer W10611623http://appliantology...-front-loaders/

Whirlpool Service Update UD-40, W10349156: http://appliantology...half-2010-ud40/

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 04 December 2013 - 04:43 PM.
Added UD40 Service Update

#12 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:19 AM

Not sure about testing the ATC but here's something:

Whirlpool Service Pointer L8178746 - Hot water may enter when cold water is selected

Customer concern:  Hot water may enter when a cold wash or rinse cycle is selected.  The technician has verified that the water inlet hoses are installed correctly.

Cause:  Units with an Automatic Temperature Control Switch have a feature that will electronically regulate the hot and cold water supply if it senses that the hoses are reversed.  The software in the switch may be out of calibration and could trigger the automatic hose reversal feature at too low of a temperature.

Correction:  Order and replace the ATC switch.  All of the parts in Whirlpool's inventory have been reprogrammed to correct the temperature calibration.

PDuff had this one nailed.   Initial visit I  traced red faucet handle water line to 'H' inlet on washer.  Blue faucet handle water line to 'C' inlet.   Water heater is right next to washer so it has instant hot water.    Initial visit wash cycle filled with cold water on cold switch like it is suppose to.   Then when I switched to warm the water valves cycled hot & cold.   When I went to hot switch I got very hot water.   Then it never would go back to cold when i switched to cold.    Several different times @ different cycles.  Customer had no problem with machine all the years they owned it till recently.

I ordered the ATC switch & installed.  Ran cycle & everything seemed find until I went to rinse cycle. It filled with hot water.  Had me stumped for a minute.  I reached behind the washer & felt the water lines.    The blue cold side was the hot water.   The ATC was compensating for the reversed (marked) water lines until it finally failed.

Moral Follow Samuria's rules of battle,  assume nothing...check everything.       I put the original ATC back in to see if it might be good...It was corrupted would not regulate correctly.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,190 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:51 AM

Great job, Patricio!  And thanks for letting us know how the battle went.  

#14 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:28 AM

Customer had no problem with machine all the years they owned it till recently.

Did they recently reverse the hoses? With hoses reversed, they would have always had hot water rinses as rinse cycle activates cold water valve directly, not through ATC switch.

Eric

#15 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:50 AM

I replaced the set of water lines because the blue handled hot line was swelled in several places so I do not think the hoses were changed recently.  I used red & blue colored water lines so as not to mistake them in the future.  I also labeled the faucets appropriately.  I added an extra charge for the additional service.

Edited by Patricio, 12 December 2013 - 09:51 AM.

IgonFishn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics