Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

• Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Vote this post up Vote this post down

Patricio

I.ve notice the posts have color arrows now.   Hover over them & green is 'Vote this post up'  red "post this post down'    What gives?

I also notice Likes count is gone.   One more thing  'warning points'  please explain all the new changes or point me to notification if I missed, please.

Edited by Patricio

Someone actually noticed! The big guy, forever on a quest to improve the site, is trying this out to see what folks prefer or if they even care. As always, opinions are welcomed

• Like 1

• Team Samurai

I.ve notice the posts have color arrows now.   Hover over them & green is 'Vote this post up'  red "post this post down'    What gives?

We live in strange and confusing times. Unworthy though I be, I will attempt to de-mystify this strange, new feature. Here goes <big breath>: if you like a post, click the green up arrow; if you don't, click the red down arrow.

There is yet much more to say about this, yea verily, whole dissertations can and, somewhere, doubtless have been written. But such things are too heady for a simple Samurai so I pray that my woefully inadequate explanation may at some level suffice.

I also notice Likes count is gone.  

The "like" system and the "vote up/down" system are two different types of "reputation" systems. They are mutually exclusive, doesn't make sense to use both at the same time and I couldn't even if I sniffed enough glue to make me want to.

Reputation systems are actually controversial among webmasters. Some strongly disagree with using them because they believe they have a couple bad effects on a tight-knit, regular community:

1) It encourages lazy, non-verbal responses to posts because people can simply click a button rather than post a comment or even an emoticon. The net result is a decrease in real interaction among members of the community and a less interesting forum.

2) In a community of regular users, such as with the techs here at Appliantology, it can be exploited as a tool for passive-aggressive expression by some members who could assiduously avoid "liking" good content written by particular members because of personal issues. The existence of the reputation system can afford a cowardly way of "getting back" at that member rather than explicitly clearing the air either in an open topic or private message.

All-positive reputation systems, such as the "like" system, seem to work best in a loose community of people who only interact occasionally, such as most interactions on Facebook. Positive-Negative systems, such as the Vote up/vote down system, seem to work best in communities like ours where we deal with other frequently. The passive-aggressive creeps described above are generally too cowardly to vote down content because doing so gets their hostility out in the open, which they prefer to avoid. But among otherwise healthy participants, it can be a good discussion generator.

I'm open to people's opinions on which system, if any, is preferred and why. I don't have a strong opinion on it one way or the other though if we were to keep a reputation system, I lean toward the vote up/vote down system. Anyone else care to weight in?

One more thing  'warning points'  please explain all the new changes or point me to notification if I missed, please.

So, rather than just automatically placing someone in temporary moderator preview for repeatedly posting a topic in the wrong forum, for example, and then having them get their butt on their shoulders about it, a discreet and polite warning could be given explaining the error to the member. The member would simply need to acknowledge the instruction from the moderator in order to resume posting. It accomplishes the same result-- educating the member on properly using the forums-- but in a more automated way

Someone actually noticed! The big guy, forever on a quest to improve the site, is trying this out to see what folks prefer or if they even care. As always, opinions are welcomed

Absotootly! In fact, I disabled the reputation system altogether for a couple days just to see if anyone noticed. No PMs, no posts on it until Patricio's. But please let me know your thoughts on all this. Reputation, yes or no? If yes, which type? Sound off!

Is this going to be a program where, "if you like your likes you can keep your likes"?

• Team Samurai

Good question, Brother JT.

In the like program, the giver of the like can unlike, or take back his like if he changes his mind. In the vote up/vote down system, once you vote, that's it, you can't take it back.

... I.ve notice the posts have color arrows now.   .

I don't see any colored arrows

? ? ?

Trying to quote a post.  It does not seem to work.  qlitch? 

Noticed arrows on & off.  Did not say anything waiting for someone else.  waited long enough.  So I posted something.   Kinda like the likes,  time will tell if I like reputation.

With the new way have to click box on & off to see if someone liking or knocking.   Still can not quote.  3 cents (inflation)

Edited by Patricio

Color blind? :whistling:

The "reputation" squares were there, but no arrows

NOW they're visible !

Edited by RegUS_PatOff

• Team Samurai

Another thing I noticed is that the "like" system showed up on the mobile theme but the "vote up/vote down" system does not.  So for folks using the forums from a mobile platform a good chunk of the time, this may make a difference on which system they prefer.  

I don't like it !

before you could see who liked what you said

as a reader it was set up as a "if you can't say anything good don't say anything at all " so if you like it great click the like if not move on or reply to the person

we work too hard every day , we come here without pay to help someone in need , just because we can

then some unknown person  hiding behind a keyboard does not like us , so we get a vote down 

I had to get used to haters on you tube , because there are haters on you tube . but i don't expect them here

the first time i get a vote down here , it will feel bad , after a few votes down i will be gone

life is too short to be where your not wanted

• Like 7

• Team Samurai

Brother Bob makes a powerful and impassioned case against the up/down system and feels stronger against it than I do for it.  It is true, too, that the up/down system has the potential to be more divisive than the simple like system.  Brother Bob's argument carries the day.  

And if anyone makes a strong case for getting rid of the reputation system altogether, I'm willing to do that, too.  

• Like 1

So that's what the red and green boxes are!  I go off line for a couple of weeks and everything gets weird.  I just figured Samurai sent his minions out to implant electronic chips in all of us while we slept.  Press the green button to give pleasure, press the red button to administer pain.  I do have a headache so lay off the red button, will ya?

• Like 1

A "Like" button is a small price to pay for free help.

I used to participate in another forum and give enough detail for the DIY'er to complete a repair.

Then some azzwipe would come behind me with a simple..."If this information helped,please click the LIKE button below my name.

Other people would get credit for my answers and do0 nothing to contribute to them.

I like "Likes".

• Like 2

If they don't show up in the mobile version, then what are the checkmarks for in the top right corner for. I always assumed it was fot liking a post, but in all honesty I have no clue. It goes to an x once I click it.

If they don't show up in the mobile version, then what are the checkmarks for in the top right corner for. I always assumed it was fot liking a post, but in all honesty I have no clue. It goes to an x once I click it.

I dono but, I musta missed the 'thumbs up', 'thumbs down' stuff.................Is the  'likes count"  that Patrico is talking about the same as the box in the lower right corner that sez......" Check ( no check symbol on my keyboard  ) Like This"............If I like someone's post or agree with it, I would tap the box in the lower right, But it then list me as "YOU"...Do other posters see  me as "YOU" or I'm I listed CTG51??????......Cannot see other screens.............I would prefer the type that if some one agrees with you, they got the cahones ( spell check )  to put there name where their fingers are.............I kinda like the Cactus Bob comment, why feel unwanted...........Remember John63?????..........Thank the L.G. Gods, he is back......