Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Can cracked & leaking outer GE washer tub be epoxied?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hank

Hank

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 01:05 PM

I have acquired a used GE washer Model # WCSR2070TBWW. The outer washer drum is made of a translucent plastic. Have any members successfully been able to use an epoxy to seal a crack in the external tub? Thanks !

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 05:04 PM

Never had the nerve to try it.  The risk was too great.

You can probably get away with a tub and water seal for less that $75 in parts and a pretty big job for a DIYer.   You'll need a special spanner wrench also.

If it's a single speed machine don't bother.  If it's a two speed machine, not too old and in good shape, it might be worth it.  We can walk you through the job if you're up to it. 

If I were to try to patch it I might foil tape a large portion outside the tub and epoxy the inside.  I find a business card spreads epoxy nicely.  Of course, don't do what I said and flood your house and say I told you to.

#3 Hank

Hank

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 06:25 PM

Thanks for your kind reply. Our neighbors were careless when they removed the washing machine from their house. The drum was not locked down and the lower bleach dispenser housing (mounted on the exterior drum) bashed against the side of the washing machine and caused cracking all around the flange of the bleach dispenser where it mates to the outer drum. I have decided not to epoxy the drum. If anyone on this website needs the parts I have salvaged from this washing machine, let me know.

That said. The GE machine above is an example of a machine built extremely simple and looks to be a throw away with the exception of the easily changed components like the pump or motor. My family uses a 1985 Kenmore Series 80 (built by Whirlpool). Still works great, is built like a tank and yes, I have done a few repairs to it over the years. But nothing last forever and I hope to educate myself on a reasonably priced replacement for the ol' Kenmore. Anyone's suggestions for an "affordably dependable" machine will get listened to.

Thanks everyone and especially Samurai and family !

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,801 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 April 2005 - 06:38 PM

[user=53]Hank[/user] wrote:

That said. The GE machine above is an example of a machine built extremely simple and looks to be a throw away with the exception of the easily changed components like the pump or motor.

Yep, that's GE fer ya. 

My family uses a 1985 Kenmore Series 80 (built by Whirlpool). Still works great, is built like a tank and yes, I have done a few repairs to it over the years. But nothing last forever and I hope to educate myself on a reasonably priced replacement for the ol' Kenmore. Anyone's suggestions for an "affordably dependable" machine will get listened to.

Got a couple ideas ratcheer:

http://fixitnow.com/...orth-buying.htm

http://fixitnow.com/...t-staber-vs.htm

Thanks everyone and especially Samurai and family !

Thanks, Hank!  Best to you and yours!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics