Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana ALW480DAW - Squeak 'n leak

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ginger ale

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:45 AM

Customer says machine makes a noise at the end of the wash cycle and also she saw a puddle of water on the basement floor next to it.

I was unable to replicate the noise after running two cycles. There was no detectable leak, although the outline of the puddle was still clearly visible.

This machine is in like-new condition. I didn't see anything like corroded clamps or cracking hoses, everything looked brand new and spic and span.

Could it be we only make noise when the basket is loaded? And what could have caused that puddle?

First, do no harm.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,656 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:55 AM

The squeak and leak could both be something that won't show up without a load and both could be caused by bad/worn out brake pads.

Did you check to make sure the brakes are able to hold the transmission from moving while it is in agitate?  If not, with clothes in the washer the friction against the spin basket will turn the basket back and forth with the agitator and clothes which would cause a squeak as the brakes slip or actually let the transmission start to spin while it is agitating causing the water to whirlpool  up out the top if the brakes are totally worn out.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:04 PM

I agree, check the brakes. Its been a common problem with your washer. I don't know if Amana had different brake pard or what but I've seen some that wear out very quick, some that fall apart, and others they are still in great condition with years of use.

#4 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:58 AM

Bad brakes finally occurred to me but not the whirlpool effect. This is very likely because I see and feel some splashing during spin. I need to find a service manual for this, anybody got one handy?

First, do no harm.

#5 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:54 AM

If the brakes are bad enough that its allowing the inner tub to spin while its agitating then it will leak water on the floor. Bad brakes won't cause it to leak in the spin cycle though.  However, it seems like everyone says the washer leaks in spin when its actually been leaking right from the start of the cycle, they just don't notice it untill the spin.  Keep that in mind when looking for a leak. Sometimes it takes to the end of the cycle for that water to escape the inside of the machine and show up on the floor. Sometimes it needs the vibration of the spin cycle for the water to work its way out from under the machine.

Another thing to check is the belt. It needs to slip enough while water is still in the tub during spin that it doesn't spin the water right over the top.  I've had failed belts with a crack in the rubber every inch around cause the tub to get up to speed too quickly and spin water over.

#6 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

This machine in spin is so smooth I could put a full glass of the Samurai's favorite brew on it and not lose a drop. At the end of spin cycle the brakes pull it down in just a few seconds and it comes to rest with a slight hissing sound. This is with no load in it. I didn't think to feel up there for hot brakes though. I believe the belts are in A1 condition.

Customer only noticed a leak once but it was bad enough to leave a puddle. So I'm going to tell her it's the brakes and get them out of there. I think on this model I can unbolt the pads and replace them without pulling the pulley and brake drum? Or will I need to buy that special wrench?

Remember I'm mostly just a humble HVAC guy.

First, do no harm.

#7 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:39 PM

If the tub stops in a few seconds and its not spinning while its agitating I would leave the brakes alone.  If you do replace them, you don't have to remove anything to get them off. Use a 3/8" wrench or a ratchet to get the bolts out and spin the transmission pulley a half turn to release the brake pads. The back brake pad is a pain to get to. I always disconnect the drain hose from the pump, disconnect the fill hose from the tub cover and disconnect the pressure tube and then remove all the tub springs and spin the whole tub assembly around backwards to get to the back brake pad. 

If it just leaked once and you can't see where its comming from you may have to keep runing the machine untill it shows up. Take a look at the drain pump too because those can leak once then stop for several loads then start leaking again.

#8 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:53 PM

If the brakes are bad enough that its allowing the inner tub to spin while its agitating then it will leak water on the floor.

So this must mean that the transmission itself dos not effectively isolate the two functions (agitate, spin) and needs the brake to help?

First, do no harm.

#9 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:11 PM

Yes, the brake has to hold the wash basket stationary during agitation to prevent water from sloshing out the top of the wash basket and on the floor.

The old school Frigidaire top load washers used a one way bearing or LGS spring and only allowed the inner wash basket to index in one direction during agitation  and thus because it only indexed in one direction it did not slpash the water out of the top of the wash basket. This was the only top load washer in it's time to get away without having a brake to hold the tub stationary during agitation because the lid locked during the spin cycle.

Scott Wolf

#10 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:31 AM

So this must mean that the transmission itself dos not effectively isolate the two functions (agitate, spin) and needs the brake to help?

On this machine the transmission only agitates. When the washer is spinning the transmission is doing basicaly nothing.

Take a look at the machine next time you're out there. Spin the transmission pulley counterclockwise (looking down on it) and it will agitate. Spin it the other way and the pulley will ride up on the cam releasing the brake and then the whole transmission and tub will spin as a unit. The transmission input shaft will not rotate clockwise. It just locks. So thats how the belt can spin everything together as a unit. 

#11 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

Turns out, I miscommunicated with my customer. After checking the brake pads, which were like new, I put in a load of laundry and tried again to replicate the squeak noise. No such noise - the brakes worked perfectly, but the spin speed seemed excessively fast. So fast it was out of my comfort zone.

That's when the customer came downstairs and said "There - that's the noise I was talking about. That tornado sound."

The basket was spinning so fast it did have the sound of an approaching windstorm. I tried it again on Delicate and it slowed right down to approximate normal. All other settings, it would spin like balls afire.

I don't know what would cause that. This is a 2-speed motor but without a speed control selector. I can test the speed switch in the console and ohm out the motor, that's all I know to do right offhand.

Anybody seen this?

First, do no harm.

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,711 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

Yes.  If you're running the basket empty, it will make this noise during spin.  It's the particular sound the air makes as it's travels across the holes in the basket.  These washers are famous for this noise and it has head-faked many a fine Appliantologist.  Customers usually don't hear it because when they run it, the basket is full of clothes, which blocks the noise.  

#13 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:34 PM

Domo, Samurai-san! The facts will be communicated - correctly, this time.

P.S. Oh, btw - the leak was from loose hose clamps. So at least I got something fixed.

Edited by jb8103, 15 December 2013 - 04:57 PM.

First, do no harm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics