Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE PSS26SGPA SS

Damper Disassembly Express chill

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:57 PM

This unit has a broken damper at the top of the tower.  I have removed light assembly & water filter cover but I can not get the top of the tower or tower to come loose.  Looking into shoot where damper is located I could see that the damper was not sitting correctly.  I stuck a screwdriver in the tube  to see if I could budge it & it fell to the bottom of the tower obviously broke.

I am afraid of breaking the plastic tabs,  I've read the disassemble instructions for the PSS-GSS  models, they don't look quite right .  Somebody with hands on experience getting this apart please tell me how to do it.

c

Also the light for the Express Thaw 3.0 pounds is on.   I can get it to go off by cycling, it comes back on after a while.  What can I do/check to get it to stay off.   I put the unit into diagnose & the lights toggled on & off, comes on after exiting diagnostic mode.  It also comes on after unplugging unit & plugging back in.

Lastly, when I had it in diagnostic everything passed except (0-4) dispenser board to main control board communication.   Customer does not use water dispenser.   Is there any correlation between this & the express thaw?

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,099 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:44 PM

Did you remove the screws at the bottom of the damper assembly after removing (unsnapping) the long air duct? Read the manual again carefully and look at the how the air duct connects to the damper assembly. Once duct is removed, remove the two screws from the assembly (see the screw hole on each of the two tabs at the very bottom of the damper assembly in the following picture? )

Screenshot_2013-12-08-22-38-44_zpstzwx6e

Regarding the express thaw... it's a known software (engineering) problem with some of the old er boards. The board is thinking it is alerting you to replace a water filter but this feature isn't for your model. GE uses the same board in many models and some features should have been switched off at the factory. You should be able to reset the light and it should stay off for a few years ... procedure: press down express thaw, ff temp up and ff temp down button at the same time and hold until the express thaw light blinks
. it will then turn off. If not, you need a new board.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 08 December 2013 - 10:48 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

Regarding the express thaw... it's a known software (engineering) problem with some of the old er boards. The board is thinking it is alerting you to replace a water filter but this feature isn't for your model. GE uses the same board in many models and some features should have been switched off at the factory. You should be able to reset the light and it should stay off for a few years ... procedure: press down express thaw, ff temp up and ff temp down button at the same time and hold until the express thaw light blinks
. it will then turn off. If not, you need a new board.

I found at another site, appliance parts pro I think, that the express thaw light may be due to the damper malfunctioning.  It was never on before until the FF started freezing, according to customer.

I read the manual maybe I did not see the correct page but when trying to get the tower off It would not give, I was afraid of breaking something.  More suggestions.   How difficult is it to put the new damper in?    looks like it comes in a few pieces & I read that the foam gasket is very thick.

Edited by Patricio, 09 December 2013 - 11:24 AM.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

Patricio, you are probably correct re light....as always, repair the main problem and the secondary problem may fix itself...you may have to reset it anyway.

Once you remove the reservoir and I think the light fixture near the bottom the duct, the duct is then only held in place by clips... takes a bit of force.  It is held on similarly to the smaller duct fixture that I think is shown in your manual.

Replacing the damper assembly is pretty easy...you just have to take a lot of stuff apart to get to it. Make sure to remember how the ceiling light fixture, screws, damper assembly screw holes line up. Take pictures if you must to remind yourself. You may not use all the parts in the kit, depending on how your original  damper is made to seal against the port hole. The instructions are pretty clear. Let me know when you plan to install it and I'll try to be on standby to answer any questions you may have at the time.. 

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,844 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:55 AM

Great tips, Brother Durham!

#6 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:22 PM

Hopefully the damper assembly will be here by Friday, plan to schedule Friday afternoon,  Professor Durham.  I don't think I can take you up on the help, do not have access to the internet while on calls away from the lacassa.

IgonFishn

#7 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:28 AM

Did not realize it was so easy to change out.   I did install the thicker gasket.   The tower & damper assembly were just stuck & I was afraid to try to much force.  I feel kinda foolish now asking for help.   Danke Durham

IgonFishn

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,844 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:19 AM

Never feel foolish asking for insight on a repair you've never done before. Better to go prepared to fix it right the first time. That's what this forum is for!

#9 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:18 AM

first time I did it, it scared the bejesus out of me as well. Things look bigger, smaller, different, longer, tighter, looser than they really are when you confront something unfamiliar.

Well, Patricio, if you don't have access to the internet or your instructions appear not to apply always carry with you a copy of "Durham's Tried and True Instruction-Free Disassembly Method" ....

1) unscrew all screws within arms reach,
2) pry any and all pryable places you can stick a flathead in
3) replace defrost timers in any and all nearby Magic Chef fridges
4) yank hard and if it breaks, tell the customer it needed replacing anyway.

Works nearly every time.... copyright 2013... patent pending.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 14 December 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#10 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:38 AM

Final follow up.   Blue Book price was over $325 with my standard 10% off & state tax the bill was still over $300.  Job was done Friday evening after 6pm.

Customer called just now 9am Tuesday.   Refrigerator  behaving correctly.   Customer praising my service & work, very happy,   add another star to my rating.   I give thanks to Appliantology & especially to the complicated man Durham

IgonFishn

#11 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:57 AM

Good stuff. Speaking of the express thaw light coming back on. I worked with a tech at Sears who owned his own appliance business for 27 years. He told me if that light keeps coming on to always replace the board, or if the turbocool button stays lit even when it is turned off. I will say I replaced the boards a few times for that reason and it did fix those 2 issues. He also said if you come out a ge for a cooling issue and that orange light is lit the board has failed or is failing. There was definitely some truth to that because many times I've found a burnt board when that orange light was present. I will say I had one occasion where I tried 3 boards to.make those lights.go off but they were stupid rebuilt boards. I Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I wanted your thoughts. This tech is very good and I do trust him. His business didn't fail btw. He has a big family to provide for, and he ran a lot of warranties. Well it got to the point he couldn't compete with Sears prices on warranty work. He used to have 6 techs working for him at one point.

#12 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

Light has not gone out,  when I put the damper in I could not remember what Durham had said about pushing FF up/down at same time to clear.     Customer is afraid to do anything, does not want to jinx his refrigerator it is running great to him. 

Customer is a retired diesel mechanic who owned his own shop.  Told me he repaired appliances in early 60's, changed profession because he did not like the housewife standing there with hands on hips fussing at him why the appliance does not work.     Times have not changed much.

IgonFishn

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Damper, Disassembly, Express chill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics