Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Why so my control boards ?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet coke

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:08 AM

Why all of these control boards in an Appliance?

I have been studying up on the new appliances coming out, refrigerators tonight, whirlpool SxS.  Now they have a Gemini (main control), stealth, power, and two emitter boards in them.  Now I ask why are we making them so complicated.  Is it because consumers want bells and whistles, or is the manufactures making them this way to sell cheap made in Japan and China control boards, for a high profit margin when they fail in 1.5 years.

Why go away from the simple that works, to way to darn much over engineering.   I am accused of over thinking by someone has got me beat in that category for-show.

Has this push for energy efficient devices forced the manufactures to go this route?

Now I also have not been in the appliance repair business very long, so I have not seen the faces of these owners of the sophisticated appliance, when you tell them the part for the fridge is 240.00 and my fee is 120.00, 360.00 will keep your milk cold..

There are still a bunch of the basic units, simple still out there, but many are going to the scrap yard, and I’ve heard the manufactures are starting to make it, that all old ones don’t get any chance to live another day by demanding they go to the scrap yard and not to a repairman, for used resale.

Does anyone see a period of time very close in the near future where there is going to be a culture shock, an awaking moment when the home owner appliance owner, is going to faint.  Asking where did the simple go, and why do I have to spend so much money for cold milk.

I also am thinking, that if a relatively technically skilled person could get in this business, and stay up on the technology, he or she would be a rare bred of person.  I don’t think there are that many schools teaching the skills, if there is not many of the young are taking the classes.  They want to play games on technology, program their phone, but don’t have a clue how it works. 

Just some thoughts I had, may have been discussed before.

Why so many boards? It makes it less dependable, and will eventually make a bunch of their customers unsatisfied IMO.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:01 AM

the short answer is energy efficiency legislation

squeezing every last % they can out of every Kilo-watt

electronics do this at a low cost

electronics are getting better , every year on board diagnostics get better and the problems are working out

think about TV's

before the late 70's tv's broke down all the time

then in the 80's TV's where great , lasted forever ( i still have a few from that area)

in the 2000's we went to flat screens and all heck got loose , TV 's where only lasting a few years (if that)

now we are working things out and learning form our mistakes and sets are lasting longer and longer

BUT

not too long TV makers never want to go back to the 80's , where the sets lasted too long .......

appliance makers will work out problems ...... but expect a new normal of less than 10 years

younger people think 10 years is a long time so to them it's normal anyway

look how long they keep a cell phone

Edited by Cactus Bob, 09 December 2013 - 01:04 AM.

SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING , I FIX GREAT , I DON'T SPELL WELL

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:48 AM

... a new normal of less than 10 years

... look how long they keep a cell phone

Watch It Shred: Refrigerators

and it looks like the rows are at least 5-deep

cell phones

http://4scrap.com/_wsn/page3.html

Edited by RegUS_PatOff, 09 December 2013 - 01:48 AM.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:06 AM

<<<Why so many boards? It makes it less dependable, and will eventually make a bunch of their customers unsatisfied IMO.>>>

You guessed correctly...

"Has this push for energy efficient devices forced the manufactures to go this route?"

<<<Now I also have not been in the appliance repair business very long, so I have not seen the faces of these owners of the sophisticated appliance, when you tell them the part for the fridge is 240.00 and my fee is 120.00, 360.00 will keep your milk cold..>>>

I do---nearly every single workday---going on 32 years:)

All in a days work :)

It took me a few years (thick skull)---to realize that most customers---greater that 90%---do not hesitate to pay top dollar for REAL service.

If I had a buck for every time that a customer described to me how their service experience went with one of the national service centers---I'd be retired and living on a Carribean island:)

In '82---I thought the very things that you are.

How on God's Green Earth can we compete against the nationwide heavyweights such as Sears/JCPenney/Frigidaire/GE/Maytag/Whirlpool/Montgomery Wards/Boscovs and others.

I thought that there would be ZERO possibility of success or marketshare against the "big boys".

Shows how *very little* that I knew about the Appliance Service Industry.

It was mess---still is.

There's a deep/un-met need for REAL service---not just for a blob of flesh on two legs---in a uniform to show up at the customer's door after waiting 10 days---and then wait for parts to be shipped to their home---re-schedule an appointment---wait 7 to 10 days for the guy to return---only to find that "someone messed up the order and didn't send the correct part"---or the fault was misdiagnosed and another part would be needed---it'll be a month before the appliance is actually repaired.

Geat Service ain't it?

Sounds like an extreme exaggeration---except it ain't. It's the norm rather than the exception.

How can you NOT compete and win against such sh*tty service!

Who in their right mind would say "No"---to same day or within 48 hours completed repairs???

My advice:

Focus on the learning & training---everything else will fall in place---as it should.

You've already indicated that you understand about having confidence and the need for salesmanship (my father used to say: "Be A Bold Gentleman")

We now know---that we really don't have to worry about the "big boys"---forget that entirely.

Keep a passionate interest in your new career---if I can do it---so can you.

I had ZERO formal appliance training for the first 16 years---it was learn-as-you-go.

I f*cking love my job:)

I love meeting people and the joy/challenge of satisfyting a customer---and getting paid for it.

I also know that there are always a small percentage of people that wouldn't recognize/know of service par-excellence---if it bit them in the ass and b*tch-slapped-them-across-the-face :)

Fine---on to the next call:)

<<<Does anyone see a period of time very close in the near future where there is going to be a culture shock, an awaking moment when the home owner appliance owner, is going to faint.  Asking where did the simple go, and why do I have to spend so much money for cold milk.>>>

Not really.

<<<I also am thinking, that if a relatively technically skilled person could get in this business, and stay up on the technology, he or she would be a rare bred of person.>>>

I know a guy that dropped out of school---worked with his dad---became drug and alcohol addicted---lost everything---went to jail---entered rehab/12 steps etc---returned and re-built his career---the father died---he found faith and knows the Bible back-to-front and is still in business with 3 or 4 honorable-mentions on AngiesList. 

And---he's a good human being.

<<<I don’t think there are that many schools teaching the skills, if there is not many of the young are taking the classes.>>>

Very true.

Not much glamour in it for the younger generation (even when I was a teen).

Bottom line---don't rush things---hang out here often and you'll be fine.

I've mentioned/discussed this before with other techs on the forum---I'd have given my right arm---to have a forum such as this during those first 16 years of my career:) 

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#5 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:36 AM

***It took me a few years (thick skull)---to realize that most customers---greater that 90%---do not hesitate to pay top dollar for REAL service.

I think it's me that has to first get over the shock!!!.   As you said my hard head.  I was telling one customer the defrost board could cost up to 200.00 alone, and I was waiting for the OMG! but I did not hear it..  The OMG is me coming up with the cost right now to stock the parts.. LOL.

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,099 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:20 PM

It's good to keep the most used boards in stock.  We make the customer prepay for any board we don't have if our cost exceeds $75.  Take the profit you make from the sale of a board and use it to buy other boards. That way you won't have to spend a lot of money upfront.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 09 December 2013 - 02:21 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#7 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:28 AM

It gets tough telling the wife, I need to take this money and buy some parts for the truck, in case I need it.  Honey we are out of peanut butter, would you like to try a stealth board and cycling termostat samich in stead..  LOL  Wiil get there and I have to get there by doing.

#8 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:43 AM

there have been weeks and months that i have paid everyone but myself

there have been weeks i have paid myself double

after 39 years i have bought a little rental real estate and my homes are paid off ....but, we live like few of our friends do

we never buy much new , our cars are all used , tv's are 15 years old and bought used

furniture is the same stuff i bought 30 years ago

everything about our lifestyle is ultra frugal

Appliance/HVAC repair is tough , it pays the bills but your not going to get rich on it

SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING , I FIX GREAT , I DON'T SPELL WELL

#9 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,099 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:10 AM

and you have no choice but to reinvest in your business. Notice, I did not say take all the money you earned, just the profit from selling the parts.

With a little positive thinking, hard work and some prayer, who says you can't make money doing appliance repair? Only 5 years in the business and I'm already a thousandaire. And to think, it's only one step below being a millionaire.. Moving up! uh oh... here it comes...

Moving on up, I said! Pretty soon a deeelux apartment in the sky-i-i.
Yes mah brothers, I tell ya we're ALL moving on up!
Do ya hear what I'm tryin' to say to you this mornin'?... to the big leauges!!
Where we'll finally... get our piece...of the pie. (wiping brow with handkerchief )
Can I get an amen? Do I have a witness?

Now let the choir rejoice!

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 11 December 2013 - 04:03 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#10 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:52 AM

What a glory filled day that will be, and I am waiting upon his return. Amen  I have wondered what shall, I be doing, or should be doing with all he has given me.  He has given me many skills, talents, abilities, and a brain to use them with.  When I use it and listen, move out with the faith of Implement the plan, of action, I have been blessed, and he truly has (looking back) provided for all my needs as he has promised.

I do find myself doubting, wondering and often wandering.  What should I be doing, am I where he wants me to be, and is what I am doing pleasing to his eyes.  Have I gave this cusstomer the best service possible, done all I could to solve their problem, and have earned the wage of my ,labor, toil, and time to fix this and still have enough to feed my family.

BE NOT DISMAYED,, means to have courage, and any lack of courage will cause you or I to second guess, slow down or stop (QUIT).

I've heard this saying very often : The problem with most people is they quit trying in trying times..

Many people have quit when their breakthrough was just around the corner.  Perserverance is a virtue, it is powerful when coupled with faith.

If I had to depend on my own power, or my own Faith, I probably would not have made it this far.  Faith in the higher power than me is the key of life.  I have a name for that Higher power and I know he died for me.  He gave up all his riches, money, position, and came down to this earth, lived poor, was beaten, died,  so I could live.  That much I do know to be a truth, a fact.  I thank Jesus  the CHRIST for watching over me.  He came so we could live an abundant, better life on this earth.  If we have not; often its because we ask not, or are NOT getting off our butts or using our minds, to go seek and find, or go in his Faith, coupled in a yoke with our own faith.  Being doers..    Not sure where this all comes from at times.. it just pours out..

#11 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:38 AM

<<<If I had to depend on my own power, or my own Faith, I probably would not have made it this far.  Faith in the higher power than me is the key of life.  I have a name for that Higher power and I know he died for me.  He gave up all his riches, money, position, and came down to this earth, lived poor, was beaten, died,  so I could live.  That much I do know to be a truth, a fact.  I thank Jesus  the CHRIST for watching over me.  He came so we could live an abundant, better life on this earth.  If we have not; often its because we ask not, or are NOT getting off our butts or using our minds, to go seek and find, or go in his Faith, coupled in a yoke with our own faith.  Being doers..    Not sure where this all comes from at times.. it just pours out..>>>

AMEN!  :)

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#12 DADoESTX

DADoESTX

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Iced tea with a spike of earl grey

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:06 PM

think about TV's

in the 2000's we went to flat screens and all heck got loose , TV 's where only lasting a few years (if that)

I have a Panasonic plasma bought in 2002 still running fine

#13 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:19 PM

Funny, The theme song from the Jefferson's is my cell phone ringtone. I loved that show.  

Sherman Hemsley, Isabel Sanford and Roxie Roker, rest in peace. 

Both Isabel Sanford and Sherman Hemsley both were from Harlem, New York and they both grew up in poverty.  I don't think they ever forgot where they came from. Every chance they could, they would donate their money to charities.

Scott Wolf

#14 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:35 AM

I sold a cabrio washer, to a guy who was having trouble with his front load, I told him they have to get the kinks worked out of some of them first, he said yeah like my plasma tv I bought.. 

I see the write ups here and they are all good things to pay attention to when making a sale.  I believe the customers who have been buying the new technical, equipment are already more prepared to just have the board replaced, they sort of expect it to happen as part of their purchase.

But the old timers still using cans and a string, will give you a run for your money.. lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics