Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Getting ready to tackle Kenmore 417 washer no spin cycle

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 dkimble69

dkimble69

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:33 PM

so would this mean the pump wasn't bad? Is this model the one that is almost impossible to bet the door gasket back on? I read some horder stories about that earlier. Should I test anything else before I try this?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:28 PM

You don't have to remove the bellow, just disconnect it from the front panel so you can get to the latch. Its easy to take off and put back on.

#23 dkimble69

dkimble69

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:33 PM

Yes, I just did that.  It was easy to do.  Is there a way to actually test this before I buy a new one?  I thought I read something yesterday and that some peices of this assembly could be replaced without replacing everything....   

#24 dkimble69

dkimble69

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:44 PM

Please tell me I do NOT need the wiring harness also???  I ahve to get this done tomorrow and the local prices are horrible.  The pump was $125. at the only local place that had one.  I should have I guess called the waranty company and paid the $125. to them  :)  At least then, the lady would be happy...

#25 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:41 AM

You only replace the latch here

http://www.repaircli...1763202/1531974

The latch is a common issue with these machines when not spinning so sorry to mislead you with the pump. You did say the machine was not draining though, and a no drain problem has nothing to do with the latch.

#26 dkimble69

dkimble69

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:30 AM

Right, there was water left in the tub.  It seems odd that both problems would happen at the same time though.  Hopefully I can find the latch assembly locally today.

Thanks for all the help!

#27 smasher711

smasher711

Unsui

• Master Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Diet A&W Root beer/ CC

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:48 PM

Wouldn't it tear up the pump if the strainer was left out?

#28 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,956 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:40 PM

No.  Depending on the object, coins will usually get caught in the bottom of the suction boot.  Long objects will simply jam the pump and it's a much easier repair to remove the object from the impeller than it is to remove and clean out the Dreamcatcher.  The pump is unharmed by this.  It also makes a great opportunity for customer education on emptying pockets.  

#29 dkimble69

dkimble69

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:02 PM

I was surprised when I took the boot off mine it was completely empty. There also was no strainer or coin catcher in it. There was also nothing in the impeller area.

I couldn't locate the door mechanism locally, today. They will have it for my by noon Monday.

Off to the laundry mat to keep the lady happy. She is still pissed at me cause I said I would fix it instead of calling the warenty people. Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks again guys for all the help! Will follow up after installing the door part.
I was surprised when I took the boot off mine it was completely empty. There also was no strainer or coin catcher in it. There was also nothing in the impeller area.

I couldn't locate the door mechanism locally, today. They will have it for my by noon Monday.

Off to the laundry mat to keep the lady happy. She is still pissed at me cause I said I would fix it instead of calling the warenty people. Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks again guys for all the help! Will follow up after installing the door part.

#30 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:19 PM

That same hose and pump was used for years before Frigidaire put that little cup thing in there and there was far less pump/no drain problems before. It causes more trouble then good so when I have one plugged up and the machine is not draining I take it out and leave it out.

#31 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:11 AM

I do the same thing, the first one of these I ran across was being used at a hospital and they where washing string mop heads.

It had a dryer stacked on top and also the new solid panel front, did it all from the back.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics