Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Washer WHDSR109J5WW

Spin problem Balance Wet clothes balance

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:25 PM

Doing a dryer repair when customer asked to look at washer that was not spin drying clothes completely.   The tub seemed out of balance when spinning.  The lid switch sounded funny when I put magnet on it & would not complete circuit unless I put lid down.

Motor is not an inverter motor, it has a capacitor & has a 115Vac rating.  One speed motor according to repair clinic's replacement.   It has a transmission also.   

When tub spins empty it seems out of balance, customer does not know if goes out of balance.  When I had it in spin cycle the tub stopped spin engaging the brake a couple of time seen seemed to spin full speed.   Because of time constraint (other calls) I did not have time to explore further (customer was not prepared to pay for more work).  Will schedule for another time.

I am thinking that the lid switch is failing. Timer is counting down while tub is not spinning I think, therefore loads are not completely spun dry.  The out of balance scenario everything seems OK as far as suspension goes.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,578 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Citrus Mistress

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

Could be lid switch. Customer needs to pay for diagnosis. You may end up digging in farther than that.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.tandnappliance.com

#3 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ginger ale

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

When I had it in spin cycle the tub stopped spin engaging the brake a couple of time seen seemed to spin full speed.  

Not to make fun, Patricio, but repeat this in other words if you can, please. I think it is critical to diagnosis.

First, do no harm.

#4 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:41 PM

The tub would start spinning.  Then completely stop suddenly like when ya lift the lid.  Brake engaged (it does have a brake does it not).  As fast as it stopped it started again then suddenly stop.    Again  then it spun full speed.  Kinda like when someone tries to learn the clutch of a standard car transmission.    Go ..Stop..Go   Stop   then go. 

The reason I say lid switch is when I applied my magnet (which has worked on all other GE's)  the Lid switch would not close but instead feel like something moved in the switch if that makes since. 

I did not give a diagnoses to this repeat customer.  I know I will be asked to repair in near future, want my ducks lined up.   Did I mention it has a mechanical timer,   it does not have a diagnostic procedure in the tech sheet.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#5 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,578 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Citrus Mistress

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:08 AM

I saw it had a manual timer. I would take a lid switch just like you thought.
Not a whole lot else it could be. Did all the other functions work okay?

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.tandnappliance.com

#6 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:15 AM

There are some GE lid switches that require a horseshoe magnet or two separate magnets. They do have a moving piece in them that makes a noise when you use a magnet on them. 

#7 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:32 AM

I saw it had a manual timer. I would take a lid switch just like you thought.
Not a whole lot else it could be. Did all the other functions work okay?

I think it is the switch, I have one in stock on the truck.   Not many functions on this machine.  Water level & three cycle timer. Everything seemed to work, just seemed to out of balance & the stop & go in the spin cycle. 

There are some GE lid switches that require a horseshoe magnet or two separate magnets. They do have a moving piece in them that makes a noise when you use a magnet on them. 

I did get it to work with 2 magnets,   but I only fiddled with it a little while i was letting the dryer run to confirm dryer repair.  I heard & felt the movement in the switch, that is good to know about the switch.  Learning something or two everyday. 

Edited by Patricio, 12 December 2013 - 12:35 AM.

IgonFishn

#8 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:03 AM

Most GEs also have a balancing ring at the top of the tub. You should hear the fluid in it slosh when you rock the tub back and forth.

#9 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:31 AM

Make sure the pump isn't partially clogged and doing a slow drain.

If all the water isn't drained and these machines start to spin it will force the water into the water level pressure bell on the side of tub which trips the pressure switch back to full status which immediately stops the spin, spins stops pressure drops and it tries to spin again.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#10 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:16 AM

So noted Budget Appliance Repair & Olyteddy

IgonFishn

#11 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ginger ale

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:16 PM

Make sure the pump isn't partially clogged and doing a slow drain.

If all the water isn't drained and these machines start to spin it will force the water into the water level pressure bell on the side of tub which trips the pressure switch back to full status which immediately stops the spin, spins stops pressure drops and it tries to spin again.

Oh, man. That is just downright insidious.

First, do no harm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics