Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

How much water should flow into the icemaker?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AJacunski

AJacunski

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Light

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:37 PM

I recently purchased and installed a new icemaker (after a year of cracking ice I finally broke down and bought it!), so imagine my dismay when I find I am getting very low water flow...I tracked it back to the water solenoid valve, and am seeing great pressure from my water line and from the water dispenser side of the valve...yet maybe an ounce of water coming from the icemaker supply side...does this mean the valve is bad?

PS Love your pic with your German Shepherd...lost mine a couple years ago to bone cancer, best dog I ever knew!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:44 PM

What kind of fridge is it? Model number? I think most whirlpools are 4oz. You say only get an ounce. Is that directly out of the valve or fill tube to the ice maker. Some ice makers have an adjustment screw to increase fill time. Does the pressure look ok coming out of the valve? If no, it could be an issue with the water valve.

#3 AJacunski

AJacunski

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Light

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:07 AM

Kenmore 106.9550711...and pressure coming out of valve on icemaker supply was horrible compared to the water dispenser side...maybe an ounce at the most...I will order a valve, they aren't much on cost, and it's 16 years old, can't hurt to replace it!  Thanks for your help!

#4 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:25 AM

Check the time it fills. I've never timed one myself but I'd estimate it is about 6 seconds. You can adjust it up or down a small ammount to fine tune the water volume in the ice maker if your pressure is higher or lower then the normal average. So if your valve  is only staying on for a short time like 2 seconds you would have an issue with the new ice maker. Unlikely but not impossible.

If its on for that full ~6 seconds its probably a valve, but before replacing it make sure you don't have the plastic line to the ice maker kinked anywhere. They can crack too making half the water go to the ice maker and the other half leaking out under the refrigerator so check that too.

It wouldn't hurt to replace the valve and it just may solve your problem. If the ice maker hasn't worked in a year its likely it is the valve. They seem to not like being not used for long periods of time.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,617 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:45 AM

Water inlet valve part link:  http://www.repaircli...ve/4318046/3307

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics