Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE GTS22KCMBRBB not cooling properly

ge evaporator fan

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 aasnowskate

aasnowskate

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:pabst

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

I went out to look at a GE freezer on top ref.  M# GTS22KCMBRBB.  Customer said it was not cooling properly.  When I got there the Ref was about 41 degrees.

I first checked the mother board on the back and everything seemed fine.  The evap seemed to be frosting up nicely.  I then started to watch the evap fan and it was really not blowing at a good stable speed.  It seemed to be going up and down in rpms and never getting to a steady speed.  I suspected it was going bad and then replaced it and when I first put the new one in, it ran good and strong.  Then after a few minutes of operation, it started to do the same low rpm up and down pattern. 

In the manual, it says that the DC motor has a rpm gain and loss at the low and mid speeds, but this seems really low.

When I put the meter on the wires at the board I got really low voltage, around 1 VDC and not steady.   

Also, there was tape around the connector for the evap and condenser fan.  When I took the tape off, there was a small resistor wired in across the red and blue wires.  Blue is the tachometer and red is the 12 VDC power supply. 

The board had no signs of being bad.  I have replaced a few of these boards and usually there is evidence of something burnt out. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  Luckily the people are nice and the Ref is in the garage, so it is not that big of a deal.

Any help would be great.  Thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:21 PM

Probably the board. I've had more then a few cause a surging or slow running evaporator fan motor.

#3 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,816 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:44 PM

Brother mike is onto something. I have had this problem as well.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#4 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:31 AM

Yeah the first time I ran in to the problem the customers complaint was they could hear the refrigerator making a surging noise. There were no cooling issues they were aware of and I couldn't find anything wrong with the refrigerator because I could never reproduce the problem. I don't even know how many trips I made out to their house over the time I was trying to catch the problem.  Then after about a month of trying to trace it down they helped me out and said it soulded like the fan inside the freezer changing speed.  On a guess I put the board in it and they called me after a few days and said the problem stopped. Shortly after that I had a refrigerator in my shop waiting to be junked for a cracked liner and it used the same board so I swapped it out with their old board to see what it was doing. Sure enough within a day that fan was spinning faster than I've ever heard one go and then stop. It was a few seconds on and a few seconds off. That had to be 8 years ago at least, and since then I've ran in to it a few more times. More commonly I've had the problem with the fan just running real slow due to a bad board. There is a local dealer that had to sell a million of those GE refrigerators so I get to see them quite often.

Edited by -Mike-, 13 December 2013 - 12:32 AM.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,255 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:31 AM

Muthaboard part link:  http://www.repaircli...5X10942/1531075

#6 aasnowskate

aasnowskate

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:pabst

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:37 AM

I was thinking mother board.  Any thoughts on the resistor from the red to blue wire on the connector that goes to the fans?  I guess I should leave it there.  It doesn't say anything about it in the wiring diagram. 

I will post my findings with the new board installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics