Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

1992 Whirlpool CA2762XWN1 direct drive topload washer - agitation switches off every 20-30sec

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stainlesssteel

stainlesssteel

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:sweet strong mixed drinks

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:13 AM

Hi all,

Agitation runs for about 30-40 sec, then switches off, then on/off every 10-20 sec until agitation cycle is complete. Agitation cycles take about 2x as long to complete due to this "resting." You can hear loud clicks from the motor area (as opposed to the timer) as the agitation cuts out/in. Switching on/off also occurs during the drain cycle.

(some noise from dryer running next to the washer)

Also, spin cycle does not work. These might be two separate problems but I suspect related.

Machine had motor and spin tube replaced circa 2010-2012 so I assume these not the problem.

Total cycle time is about 55 minutes vs. 24 normally.

Hopefully there is a simple solution: from the CA2762 parts list and wiring diagram, it's a bad motor start switch (relay?)--although i think the new motor came with the switch. Or the capacitor?

Any ideas/foretelling of doom (clutch mechanism?) appreciated.

Parts list:

http://ravinalajolla...t - 3355016.pdf

Wiring diagram:

http://ravinalajolla...t - 3355024.pdf

Edited by stainlesssteel, 13 December 2013 - 05:04 AM.

Custer wore Arrow shirts.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:20 AM

Runs with lid open, shouldn't do that, has someone bypassed the lid switch? I would check that. Time the on/off times of the motor. Does it occur always at the same time in the cycle? If so, looks like bad timer. If random, I would check connections at motor connector. For the no spin problem, you need to run it with cabinet off so you can observe what the clutch hub is doing.

Eric

#3 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ginger ale

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:07 AM

Machine had motor and spin tube replaced circa 2010-2012 so I assume these not the problem.

I dunno; I'd ohm out the motor, just to be sure.

Edited by jb8103, 13 December 2013 - 11:07 AM.

First, do no harm.

#4 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:18 AM

In the second video...............It appears the timer has failed...........It is not pausing to let the transmission go into spin.....At the end of the agitate cycle, the washer drains, then a pause......the timer contacts could be welding  together and it stays in the 'drain' cycle..................

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:04 AM

.... Agitation runs for about 30-40 sec, then switches off, then on/off every 10-20 sec
.... Total cycle time is about 55 minutes vs. 24 normally.

1) does this stop / start right from the beginning of the Wash cycle ?

OR after Agitating normally for a few minutes ?

2) since the Timer Motor is also "stopping", sounds like maybe the Washer Motor Overload is tripping

Check to see if the Washer Motor is "hot"

Edited by RegUS_PatOff, 18 December 2013 - 06:08 AM.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:12 AM

In the second video...............It appears the timer has failed...........It is not pausing to let the transmission go into spin.....

In that video, the washer is draining, then I can clearly hear the motor pause at 7 seconds into the video, then it starts again draining without spinning.

Eric

#7 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:26 PM

I would inspect the red wire at the bottom of the plug going into the motor. If the connector is black(inside the molex connector ) fix it. Try swapping out the capacitor if you have one. Then, start checking the voltages to the motor while in spin. I think the motor may be over heating.   let us know what you find.

Even root canal is easy...if you're a dentist...

#8 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:42 PM

The red wire and capacitor are only used for starting the motor. They are switched out of circuit when motor comes up to speed. Since motor does start, I doubt that they are the problem however, if the motor start switch is stuck closed or the motor centrifugal switch mechanism is not working and the start winding remains connected when motor is running, that can definitely cause motor overload and trip the thermal overload which will reset itself as it cools off and the process repeats. You can take the cover off of the motor switch to examine the contacts. Also pull the motor switch away from motor so you can operate the switch lever by hand while observing the internal contacts.

Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics