Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Subzero 427RG2 Wine Frige

Subzero 427RG2 Wine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 atcherservice

atcherservice

Master of Monkeys

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:33 AM

I have a SZ 427RG2 Wine frig with 2 frig drawers. This serial # F2463688. This has 2 compressors, 1 for the wine and 1 for the frig. Home owners complaint was the frig drawers are warm. I check out the unit to find compressors are running and hot as can be due to dirty coils and Condenser fan not running. I was unable to access the full unit due to a custom kick plate so I could not see if in fact the fan was seized. I checked the relay that according to the schematic the DPDT relay should be feeding voltage to the fan, and confirmed that 120v was present. I assumed that 120v to the motor and no fan means the fan is bad. I order the condenser fan, as well as the relays(according to PD does not exist). I take the fan only, and pull the bottom unit. When I gained access and changed the fan motor the fan would be in a humming state, as if it was not getting enough power. I measured voltage and at the power connector where the fan plugs into from one side I get 120V off there brown wire to chassis, and across the plug I get 120V, but the fan not running. Here is the questions.

If I get 120V from line to chassis or line to neutral  but not neutral to anything have I lost my leg of power?

When I go to the relay and ck voltage from the white or neutral I am getting no power, am I to assume that there is a break in the wire or if I am wrong is it just a bad motor?

I have order another motor, but when I traced white back to the main harness plug and I disconnected it I was able to get voltage from the white wire that also ties into another power harness for the wine box.

I also noticed that EVERY Molex connector I touched to disconnect was brittle, still connected but may consider swapping wire harness out.

I ohmed out both motors with 2 meters and got resistance, but no continuity beep. Is it possible that the motor is in fact bad even though I am not able to confirm an electrical break.

I STRIVE NOT to be a parts changing monkey and really hate the fact that I can't confirm that my diag is incorrect so even as I checked that service book, it does state in the trouble shooting part that the relay is there after a certain serial # even though the IPL does not show the relay is there.

I seek help from what is ending up to be being a Curious George Monkey and throwing parts at something. I am looking at motors, main control a mysterious relay and harness. What I feel is that the motor is bad and dirty coils are the true culprits.

Thanks,

Ken

Atcher Service

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:03 AM

The following measurements should be made with the Fan connected.

When either Compressor is running, there should be 120v AC across the Fan Connector,

Brown wire to chassis should be 120v AC (when either Compressor is running)

White wire to chassis should be 0v AC (always)

Edited by RegUS_PatOff, 16 December 2013 - 04:04 AM.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,755 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:39 AM

On most meters the continuity check beeper will only sound on up to a specific ohm reading, (usually 75 ohms or less depending on the meter).

On most fan motors the ohms of the windings will be more then what will trigger the beep of a continuity test on the meter, you would have to have the meter set to an auto-range setting or 2000+ ohms setting to get the actual reading of the windings of the motor.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#4 atcherservice

atcherservice

Master of Monkeys

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:54 AM

thanks guys, if I had unplug the fan at the molex connector and got the reading of 120V to brown and white across the plug then the motor should be turning? Also during these check the compressors were running? I would them be confirming that the fan is indeed bad and my replacement is bad as well.

thanks-ken

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:10 PM

... The following measurements should be made with the Fan connected.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Subzero, 427RG2, Wine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics