Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Noisy Kitchenaid Dishwasher

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_Steve...._*

Lurker_Steve...._*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 08 May 2005 - 10:09 PM

I have a kitchenaid dishwasher model number KUDP01ILBS. It is just over 3 years old and recently the motor which was always audible has gotten much louder. The dishwasher also seems to leave more reside behind than it used to. We called a repairman out and he shrugged his shoulders and couldnt find anything wrong with it. The only odd thing I can think of is that we had a couple of wine glasses shatter inside.

Any ideas? The noise is driving my wife and I crazy.

Steve...

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,609 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 09 May 2005 - 04:00 AM

[user=0]Steve....[/user] wrote:

We called a repairman out and he shrugged his shoulders and couldnt find anything wrong with it.

You didn't actually pay this doofus, did you? 

You have shards of the broken wine glass stuck down in the mascerator, item 3 in picture below.  You'll need to remove the lower spray arm and several other pieces to get down to it, piece pie.  Clean out the shards of glass in the mascerator sump and, if you're lucky, you haven't damaged the wash motor.   

Posted Image

#3 magpie

magpie

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 09:06 PM

Nah, we didn't pay him. He was actually out on another call to replace an ignitor in our KitchenAid Gas stove!
As per your suggestion I took my diswasher apart this evening with very little trouble. Once I removed the plastic cover over the masticator the problem was evident. The little blade that goes around had popped off! I cleaned the screen, reseated the blade and pushed that lock nut on as hard as I could with my Linemans pliars.
Closed her up and did a test run -- nice and quiet again.

One question; What do you think the chances are of that little nut popping off again? Is there some better way to secure the blade to its shaft?
All best,
Steve...

...and thanks again!

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,609 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:42 PM

Hey, nice goin'!

I think that mascerator area is a weak point in the design of that motor assembly. I the nut probably popped off from a shard of glass hitting it at just the right angle, a flukey kindofa thang. You're lucky the glass didn't actually jam the mascerator and burn out the motor-- this is the more common scenario.

#5 magpie

magpie

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:51 AM

One more question...

Before I put the whole thing back together, I cleaned the metal screen in front of the masticator blade as best I could (I couldn't get the screen out w/o removing the motor)and there still was some gunk in the screen. Now although it's quiet it is still leaving bits of crud all over the glasses/dishes.
Is there any easier way to clean that screen out besides taking the whole thing apart?
Can I put Drano in my diswasher?

All best
Steve...

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:00 AM

Draino into a dishwasher.....:poison:......Would not want to eat off of those dishes!!!  Might not be too much left of the dishwasher either.  Check to see if you are getting enough water into the dishwasher to properly turn the spray arms with enough force/water pressure.  The glass might also have damaged the pump/motor and will need to be replaced.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#7 magpie

magpie

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:23 AM

I'm currently running it empty and I've opened it quick like (got a face full of steam) and confirmed that all the spray arms are indeed rotating...

what next?
Steve...

#8 magpie

magpie

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 12:40 PM

CORRECTION!!!
Only the bottom spray arm is moving -- and it seems rather slowly. The other 2 arms are not rotating.
Is this now the pump that has gone bad? and how hard is it to replace?

Steve...

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:05 PM

Is there enough water in the dishwasher to move the spray arms???  you might have a fill valve going bad, not allowing enough water to enter for enough pressure to clean..  Pour enough water into the dishwasher to allow all spray arms to move like they should to see if the not enough water might be the problem...do not put so much water into the tub using a pitcher or something that it over flows tho.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#10 magpie

magpie

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:58 PM

I believe that there is enough water inside the dishwasher. Take a look at the attached image. The water level is just below the top of the heating element. Is this where it should be?

Steve....

btw - it "sounds" like it is working properly, I marked the middle and upper spray arms before running the unit and sure enough they are not rotating...

Attached Files

#11 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:40 AM

Water level looks ok, so that shouldn't be the problem.

I haven't had to work on the pump/motor system on one of these yet so don't know if possibly some broken shards of glass have gotten through to the wash impeller and possibly damaged it.

Also if first screen behind maseator blade was all plugged up, (from maseator blade being loose and not chopping up the big food particles), then possibly the other screen is plugged also not letting the water through to the wash impeller fast enough.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#12 magpie

magpie

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:51 PM

I'm assuming that the 2nd screen behind the masticator is #5 on the diagram.
What do I have to do in order to get to that screen and clean it out? I was also unable to remove the first screen, #3 (and give it a really good cleaning).

Steve...

#13 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:27 PM

Hopefully someone else can answer that for you, as like I said, "I've never had to work on the pump/motor of one of these yet".

Here's the best I can do for ya....

First your model# is incomplete, give the number# from the model/serial# tag on the dishwasher -- I will use: KUDP01ILBS0 for what I looked up, (Note: you're missing the last # which can be 0-6).

It appears as the screen behind the chopper blade should come out after chopper blade is removed. The only way to get to the second screen, (Yes, ref#5), is to remove the motor from the dishwasher. This will also let you see the wash impeller.

Here's the link to parts breakdown for the KUDP01ILBS0 model: CLICK HERE

Look at pump and motor parts to see how it all comes apart.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics