Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

HVAC blows cool air in the morning but warm in the afternoon

Koffeehound62

Koffeehound62

Here is the description of what my in-laws heater does in the mornings recently but works fine in the afternoon. The morning temps recently have been in the 20's - 30's.

Thermostat calls for heat. 2. Draft inducer motor starts. 3. Pressure switch attached by a small plastic or rubber tube senses the negative pressure produced by the draft inducer and closes. 4. Draft inducer runs for 30 seconds to a minute before you hear a gas hissing sound. The ignitor did not glow, the flame sensor (a small metal probe about 1/8" in diameter, with a white porcelain base) does not sense the flame, so after 8 to 10 seconds the hissing sounds stops with no ignition of gas to heat your home. Your furnace shuts down and goes into a lock out condition until you turn your power switch back off and on again. Then the sequence starts all over again with no ignition of the gas.

The first day I did find the draft inducer was binding up and not spinning. After freeing this up with wd40 it has been working since. I have ordered a new one and will replace it when it arrives. Not sure what could be causing the heat not to work in the mornings. I suspect the colder temps lately have something to do with it but I don't know what component could be " cold sensitive" . Any help would be great!

Koffeehound62

Is there any troubleshooting I can do to rule out the gas? The system is a central unit on the roof, I think a Carrier or Bryant. Not sure because I can't seem to find a manufacturers label.

Koffeehound62

I just went over and checked it since it is cold out and the draft inducer motor wasn't spinning. The new one should fix the problem but I'll let you know what happens after it arrives and I install it.

I'm confused. In your post you said the ignitor did NOT glow but you heard a hissing for 8-10 seconds. Shouldn't the ignitor be glowing if gas is flowing. I didn't think it would even get to that point if the pressure switch isn't making, which would mean the inducer fan would need to be running. You said it was binding up. It sounded like it was cycling properly once you got the fan running except the ignitor didn't glow. Shouldn't we be figuring out why the ignitor didn't glow even though gas was being put out? I feel like in a typical sequence the ignitor kicks on then gas flows to ignite. Maybe I'm wrong or misunderstanding. I haven't ran many gas furnaces.

Guys, you are missing the gold here, igniter should be glowing. Disconnect it and measure its resistance. It should be 60-80 ohms I'd SiC and 10-14 if SiN ( you can tell the difference by the look of the element, SiC or Silicon Carbide is black with shiny flects in it. It is VERY BRITTLE and often is flat with a large flat white ceramic base. The other type is SiN or Silicon Nitride, and is way more durable, and has a matte finish and often a solid bar for the heated part, and also a white ceramic, thought this ceramic will most likely be glazed, the wires are likely to be silicone or Teflon; whereas SiC are usually fibreglass braid coated wires).

The sequence you describe is exactly what should happen when the igniter has failed.

You could unplug the ignitor and fire up the system with ohmmeter connected to the harness to see if power is getting tothe ignitor. If no voltage hunt down an open lmit and look for blocked stack or something else that would cause a limit to trip.

If the inducer fixed it then the pressure switch wasn't closing, and that keeps the igniter from lighting. This also means the gas valve should NOT have been opening. This could be a miss hearing problem, or a problem with the control. If the igniter isn't beeing activated the gas shouldn't be flowing even for ignition trial.

• Like 3