Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore washer won't agitate, spin or rinse, just ticks or hums

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 heathblue

heathblue

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:37 PM

The weirdest thing just happened.  I put the motor back on and tried to jump the capacitor like Mike said.  When I tried to spin the motor the agitator moved.  I was excited because it actually did something instead of just sitting there.  Then I attached the capacitor back on and spun the motor and the machine started spinning!!  I then pushed the button in to stop it and then pulled it out again and it started spinning all by itself without me manually moving it!!  This is so weird.  What do I do now? The pump is still off to the side.

Spins freely on the floor by hand? or connected? With motor on floor, connect wiring harness connector and set to spin mode. Again, lid switch must be bypassed. Will motor start? If not but it is humming, spin shaft by hand to see if it will start.

Eric

spins freely on floor by hand not connected

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:55 AM

Unplug washer, disconnect terminals from capacitor without touching any exposed metal on the wire terminals or capacitor terminals. Remove the capacitor from it's holder without touching those terminals. Take an insulated handle screwdriver and place the metal end of the screwdriver across the terminals of the capacitor for a few seconds to discharge any voltage accumulated on it. Inspect it for any damage such as bulging, cracks or melting. Does it have a bad odor? The capacitor may be faulty but the only way to check it properly is with a meter that has a capacitor test function. If the capacitor looks/smells ok and the terminals aren't burnt nor are the wiring terminals, it's probably ok. I think you have a bad wiring connection or faulty wire in the harness somewhere. You need a tech who is competent in electrical troubleshooting to figure this out. You can try replacing the capacitor but if that doesn't solve the problem for good, you need to call a tech.

http://www.repaircli...tNumber=8572717

Eric

Edited by fairbank56, 18 December 2013 - 08:58 AM.

#23 heathblue

heathblue

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

Thanks!  I will try that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics