Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG DLG7188rm Tar/Rubber strips

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 akyoung

akyoung

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:35 PM

I have looked high & low to find out what the 2 tar like 3" wide strips that are on the exterior of the dryer drum.  I've searched the service manual & the user manual.  Although they clearly show it, it's not on the parts list, so I have no idea: if it's necessary, what it's called & where to get it.  Reason why I ask is that my dryer was making a thumping noise.  Before you ask if it's anything else (ie: belt, something loose, hole in drum, etc, etc).  I have checked everything & no it's not any of them.  I did turn on the dryer with the top off to make sure it was the strip (one came apart & was flapping).  As the drum heated up the remaining portion of that one strip started to loose it's tackiness & started to come off & flap around (thus causing the thumping sound).  Once I removed it & started it again, no thumping.

So my question is, does it act as a balancer, silencer, something else?  If so, where do I buy it.

Thoroughly confused

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:42 PM

GE uses something like that in some of their older dishwasher doors. As far as I can tell they are sound damping.

#3 akyoung

akyoung

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:56 PM

This isn't on the door, it's actually on the exterior of the dryer drum & the dryer is only 5yrs old.  I've tried googling everything I can imagine it might be called.  Frustrating to say the least. 

But thank you for a response. :blinky:

#4 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:15 PM

Hello, my high and low friend.  The black tar strips are placed in the drum by our North Korean operatives to facilitate the transfer and trading of opium, my country's number one cash crop, especially since the occupation by the Ameedikan armed forces who, praise be to Allah, provide free labor for the harvest and transport of product to North Korea.  Bundles of opium distillate is then attached to the adhesive black tar and the dryers are shipped to the cities of Ameedikan infidels for their mass consumption and intoxication.  Once the cargo is delivered and extracted, the black tar on the drum no longer has any useful function.  Just ignore it.  

Allahu Akbar!

#5 akyoung

akyoung

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

Ummm, okay, funny.  So I guess the end result is it serves no purpose except for transport of opium :woot:  :dazzler:  to us unsuspecting infidels.

#6 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:34 PM

Hello, my unsuspecting friend.  I would only offer that there is nothing funny about the opium trade.  It is the very life blood of my godforsaken rock of a country that uses little boys like women and who's national drink is cheap vodka and semen of yak.  

With such large amounts of money and international banking and drug cartels involved, many of my fellow Afghanis have lost their lives in this trade.  This is how I acquired three of my four wives, two of whom are young enough to be my granddaughters-- their husbands were killed in the opium trade.  For this, I am grateful to Allah, the compassionate and merciful.  

Allahu Akbar!

#7 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:51 AM

<<<So my question is, does it act as a balancer, silencer, something else?>>>

Keeps noise to a minimum---since the drum is metal.

Such as metal buttons/belt buckles/zippers etc

<<<As the drum heated up the remaining portion of that one strip started to loose it's tackiness & started to come off & flap around (thus causing the thumping sound).  Once I removed it & started it again, no thumping.>>>

It's best/easiest to remove any "hanging" insulation---with a razor knife.

No need to replace the missing section---this can only be replaced by ordering a new Drum (totally unnecessary).

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#8 akyoung

akyoung

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:17 AM

john63, I thank you for your clear & concise response.  Much appreciated.  I have removed the one that has come loose & left the one that is still what seems to be firmly adhered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics