Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE CSS25USWC SS with Ice Maker CAN17 Not Dispensing Ice

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rsg2000

rsg2000

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

I have a side by side GE CSS25USWC SS with Ice Maker model CAN17.  The ice maker is making ice normally but the unit will not dispense ice from the door.  The motor is running when the lever is depressed and I can see the metal drive auger spinning when I open the door and the bucket is removed.  I tested the helix auger and it spins freely.  I then marked the helix auger and re-installed the dispenser bucket.  I depressed the lever on the door and the motor ran.  I then pulled the bucket out and looked for my mark on the helix auger.  The mark had not moved so it seems the helix auger inside the bucket is not moving.  So, if the metal drive auger on the motor is spinning but the helix auger in the bucket is not spinning, what could be wrong?  Could it be the drive cup?  Thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,519 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Citrus Mistress

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:13 PM

Does the dispenser door open?

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,376 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:18 AM

First make sure the helix auger turns freely by hand.
Next check the auger drive on the auger motor. Although it may turn when you engage the motor, it may not be sufficiently attached to the motor to turn when any weight is applied.

Try tightening the drive by rotating it on the shaft ( I think in the same direction it turns when the motor is engaged). If it continues to come loose then either the drive (more likely) or the shaft (less likely) is stripped.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 23 December 2013 - 08:19 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 rsg2000

rsg2000

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:22 AM

The dispenser door does open.  The helix auger does spin freely.  I removed all of the ice from the bucket, re-installed it, and then tested the helix auger using the motor and it did not move.  It had no resistance from any ice.  I will try tightening the drive tonight after work as you suggested and let you know.  Thanks for the replies.

#5 rsg2000

rsg2000

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:01 AM

Sho' Nuff Chozin, you were right on.  The auger drive is just spinning on the shaft.  I tried to tighten as you suggested but it will not tighten.  There are threads on the shaft that would indicate there may have been a nut to tighten down the auger drive to the shaft.  Is there supposed to be a nut?  I was able to find a parts diagram for a similar ice maker and it shows some sort of nut (nut J) the appears to go between the auger drive and the motor, not on top of the auger drive.  Not sure how that would work.  Any information on tightening the auger drive would be appreciated.  Thanks.

#6 rsg2000

rsg2000

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:17 PM

The auger drive was stripped so I bought a left handed nut to tighten down on the auger drive.  The unit is now working.  Thanks for the help.

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,376 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:42 PM

Great find! The drive suppose to tighten itself and a nut is not provided. I've tried finding nuts for this but with no luck. I actually took the auger into home depot but they could not find the right size. Do you remember the size you purchased? If it loosens again, you may need a lock nut/washer or some locktite.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 26 December 2013 - 11:44 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#8 rsg2000

rsg2000

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

Yes, it was a 5/16" x 18 left handed nut I found at my local hardware store in New Orleans.  I fixed it for 75 cents.  If it loosens I may use the lock washer or tack weld the nut to the auger drive.  Again, I appreciate your help in the diagnosis.  Another store in New Orleans had the nut, the name was Fastners, Inc. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics