Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Need to replace hinges on upper door of my Thermador C302U oven

Oven repair door hinge

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shal

Shal

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Oatmeal stout

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:08 AM

The upper door of my Thermador oven has never closed properly. And part of the reason is that on the right-hand hinge the catch that was supposed to allow removing the door got smashed, and then it bent the upper arm to the side.

With some difficulty I was able to remove the door, now I need to remove the hinge from the door. The edge had a single screw holding the business end of the hinge to the door frame, but there is a welded flange holding the spring end to the door frame. It appears that the hinge has to lift out on the business end and then slip off the flange, but that is utterly impossible with the hinge arms sticking through the frame in their compressed position.

Is one required to undo the catch that holds the arms together so that the two arms can swing down? And if so how does one do that against the tension of those terrifying springs without losing a vital body part?

From the picture of the hinge at Repair Clinic it would seem that is the requirement.

Secondary question: the left-hand hinge appears undamaged, but is there a reason to replace both while I've got the door disassembled? One reason I can think of is so that the spring forces are balanced, assuming that the springs age (the oven is 13 years old).

Edited by Shal, 23 December 2013 - 05:13 AM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Shal

Shal

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:26 AM

I had a sudden inspiration and realized that I owned a good tool for safely compressing and releasing the hinge spring.

11618406983_6437da97ac_z.jpg

A few easy twists is all it takes.

I've decided to replace both, just to be safe.

#3 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:46 AM

I use a 1/2" deep well socket with an 6" extension...... :thumbsup: .............Not too much room in the service van for the wood clamps................But,   I do carry two of these 'bar'  type  clamps.......8".DSCN0738_zps6fecbda6.jpg.... .

#4 Shal

Shal

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:58 PM

The socket would work, but would still depend on muscle power to hold the arm in place. I'd be afraid of the arm slipping off the quick-grip pad.

I liked the wood clamp because the curled end of the arm drops into the slot and secures things nicely. And, of course, because I already had a couple. ;-) Naturally the constraints of fitting everything into the service van makes things a lot different for the pro than for a DIY repair.

Click on the photo of my clamp if you care to see photos of the rest of my oven adventure, on Flickr.

Edited by Shal, 29 December 2013 - 03:01 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Oven, repair, door, hinge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics