Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Admiral AED4675YQ1 Dryer won't stay on

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 dan.farmer1@gmail.com

dan.farmer1@gmail.com

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Boulevard Brewing Co.

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:24 AM

I've the same problem with my Admiral AED4675YQ1 but I can't find any parts except the start switch which I've already replaced. This unit may still be in warranty but I cannot find and proof of purchase even though I bought it online! Keep your receipts huh!

Dan

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

I've the same problem with my Admiral AED4675YQ1 but I can't find any parts except the start switch which I've already replaced. This unit may still be in warranty but I cannot find and proof of purchase even though I bought it online! Keep your receipts huh!

Dan

That model does not have a belt switch. Problem is most likely a faulty motor switch or wiring connection at motor (black wire).

Eric

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,439 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

Topic split.  

#4 dan.farmer1@gmail.com

dan.farmer1@gmail.com

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:24 AM

Push the button and the drum rolls but release it and it stops. Hold the button down for a long time and the drum rolls but there is no heat. At one point several tries would get it started but now it will not continue running no matter what. The unit may still be under warranty but I cannot find any proof of purchase. I replaced the start switch to no avail. I believe there is a motor relay or something that needs to be replaced but finding parts for this thing is difficult. I imagine it uses the same parts as some Whirlpool models but I don't really know how to check. Any help is much appreciated, I'm getting tired of the laundrymat!

Dan

Merry Christmas!

#5 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:13 AM

http://appliantology...r-wont-stay-on/

#6 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:48 PM

Sounds like a motor switch.

There is many ways to check it. My method is to take the front off the dryer and pull the drum out, then either bypass the door switch or put the front panel off to the right side so you can reconnect the door switch with the panel off and then with the timer in a run and heating position have someone hold the start button in and see if you have 240 volts on the two outside wires on the motor with it running. If you have 240 volts there the centrifical switch on the motor has failed.

#7 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:28 PM

There are two switches in the motor. That one is only for the heating element. It's the other one that provides neutral to keep the motor running once it's started and that's the one you need to check. You can do this with washer unplugged and operating the switch manually while checking continuity between the black and white wires at motor connector.

Eric

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,439 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:30 PM

Duplicate topics merged.  

#9 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

There are two switches in the motor. That one is only for the heating element. It's the other one that provides neutral to keep the motor running once it's started and that's the one you need to check. You can do this with washer unplugged and operating the switch manually while checking continuity between the black and white wires at motor connector.

Eric

Yeah you're right but since it's not heating I'm thinking the centrifical switch is stuck or there is a mechanical failure with it which wouldn't allow the motor run winding points or the heater points to close. That would be detectable if the heater switch is not closing. I figured that would be the easiest way to explain how to to check it.

#10 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:20 PM

Gotcha. Appears that the centrifugal mechanism may be the culprit since neither the heater works nor the neutral connection for motor once start button is released. Easy to check manually.

Eric

#11 dan.farmer1@gmail.com

dan.farmer1@gmail.com

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:52 PM

Well I got it all apart but not sure what the centrifugal switch is or if it is replacable. I've attached the wiring diagram and a picture of the motor. I see in the wiring diagram a start coil and a main coil and a switch that ties the main coil to neutral but there aren't any part numbers. I don't see how the heater is part of that though.

Thanks!

Dan

PS Dotted lines in the wiring diagram indicate part may or may not be used...

Attached Files

#12 dan.farmer1@gmail.com

dan.farmer1@gmail.com

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:57 PM

The black and white wires at the motor do have continunity with the start button is press. Just checked it.

Dan

#13 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:17 AM

See photo below. Push the centrifugal mechanism disc toward the rear of the motor to operate the motor switch. You must hold it back while taking readings. With switch activated, you should have continuity between the terminals on the motor switch where the red wires connect and between where the black and white wires connect.

Eric

DryerMotorSwitch.jpg

#14 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:30 AM

The black and white wires at the motor do have continunity with the start button is press. Just checked it.

Dan

Can't check it that way.

Here is the circuit with motor running and switch activated. Heater circuit is closed as is neutral circuit for motor.

DryerCircuit.jpg

#15 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:50 AM

You'll probably find that the motor switch is bad. Unfortunately, Whirlpool sourced motors from China for a while and those motors have been problematic. The bolted together frame of the motor is a telltale sign that it's made in China. The good motors made in the U.S. and Mexico are welded together. If you have to replace that motor, you will get one of the good motors. The switch is not available alone.

http://www.repaircli...umber=W10366770

Eric

#16 dan.farmer1@gmail.com

dan.farmer1@gmail.com

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:01 AM

I don't think I have any other choice but to replace the motor. It is still better than $300+ for a new dryer of the same make but now I'll have a better motor and maybe it will be a little quieter! 

I see in the edit of the wiring diagram how the main coil switch and the heater switch are ganged. I'm not used to these wiring diagrams. 

Thanks for the explanations!

Dan

#17 dan.farmer1@gmail.com

dan.farmer1@gmail.com

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:13 PM

Got the new motor this morning and just put it in. We are back in working order. I thank you as well as my wallet and my wife!

Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics