Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Sub Zero 690/F Fridge is not cooling

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mjrgonorrhea

mjrgonorrhea

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:35 AM

I would like to start by saying that I have zero experience in repairing refrigerators. I just recently found a repair video for a SubZero, which helped me at least get an idea of what to look for and that's why I'm here. I'm fairly handy and can 'DIY' almost anything with enough knowledge and proper tools, so I would like to repair this one myself.

Our SubZero Fridge section has not been cooling properly for years. We have tried cleaning the condenser, but it hasn't made a noticeable difference. Just today, it completely stopped cooling and made the temperature go up to over 70 degrees (control panel readout). Some other little issues: the fridge door sticks out by about a quarter of an inch, the door gasket has a cut at the bottom, and the light switch is not working properly.

The freezer is working fine.

With all this trouble, I started reading similar threads and articles and realized that I may have missed the tell tale signs of a bad evaporator. If memory serves me correctly, I had a lot of ice buildup on the back panel/evaporator cover and standing water in the fridge.

I took the back panel off and here is what I saw.

01E3BD19-8E8D-42A2-AA48-335313121A01_zps

D7C73B47-1D04-4E2E-A351-E272397AD166_zps

There was also a lot of hissing, coming from the little pipe (cap tube?). The evaporator is warm to the touch.

Now do you think the evaporator is bad? And if the refrigerant has escaped, would my compressor still be okay?

Also, I read that there is diagnostic mode. How do I put the system into that mode to get all the trouble codes?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 mjrgonorrhea

mjrgonorrhea

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:41 AM

Can't figure out how to edit my original post, so here is the service tag.

66E0DA05-F777-4CD6-98FA-3DE7F4D9DC93_zps

#3 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:29 AM

Time for an evaporator replacement. A sealed system job is in the immediate future.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#4 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

Refrigerator section evaporator failure is fairly common to the Sub Zero product, spanning several different models.  Looks like yours has been running with a sealed system leak in that evaporator for some time.  It may be prudent to replace the refrigerator compressor as well for moisture contamination.  An expensive repair but well worth it for the 690.

#5 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 26 December 2013 - 07:54 PM

Yes that evaporator is very common to leak. The new style is a lot better as I have never had to replace one for leaking.

I don't know your ability but a job like that is not for a DIY'er. There is a lot of specialized equipment involved and what it would cost you to buy the equipment you could just have a pro do the job for less.

About replacing the compressor....I probably would do that too on yours just because you said it hasn't been working for years. I wouldn't have a problem leaving the original compressor in there if the problem was addressed sooner. I'd put the heat exchanger in it too while the system is opened.

Its going to be an expensive job but with a 690 its worth investing the money in to it.

#6 mjrgonorrhea

mjrgonorrhea

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

About the equipment. I believe I only need a set of AC gauges, a vacuum pump, and a torch. The evaporator is about $130, the filter/dryer is another $30, and I haven't looked into a compressor, but it shouldn't be much more than $100.

I've never handled a refrigerent before, but I don't imagine it to be difficult. Using a torch is basically like soldering.

I heard an evaporator job is around $600-700. If they do everything else, it will probably be a grand. So I feel like doing it myself should save me money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics