Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Monogram ZIS480NRI Not Cooling - tried multiple tests

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 valerdos

valerdos

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Spotted Cow

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

I have GE Monogram ZIS480NRI which was purchased in 2007 and yesterday I noticed that it wasn't cooling. Fan, lights and everything is working, but compressor doesn't seem to be running.

I tried some tests with multimeter that I found in this topic http://applianceguru...um1/23836.html 

So I have the following:

- I have 6.7 VDC on red/white (coming from main board)

- Ohms seem to be all over the place at the connector going to the condenser (maybe I don't test them correctly)

- No power to orange/brown wires going to inverter (should be 120 VDC) - I think that's the problem.

I would really appreciate if someone could advice on how to fix the voltage coming in to the inverter board?

Thank you

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

Power to the big connector going to the inverter should be 120VAC not 120VDC. The little connector is VDC which you have right. Typo on the 120vdc or did you try to check as dc and not ac?

#3 valerdos

valerdos

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:20 PM

So I tested some more and figured:

- There is a power 120 VAC to orange/brown wires - I just wasn't testing it correctly

- My multimeter only let's test Ohms in 1K+ increments so the dial bounces to 0, but I am assuming there is 6.7 ohms or so. (need to get a better multimeter)

I guess, I just need to order the inverter board and change it.

#4 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:21 PM

Typically if you have 120vac and 3-6vdc it is usually the inverter. I can't recall any ge I had where it was the compressor too.
Typically if you have 120vac and 3-6vdc it is usually the inverter. I can't recall any ge I had where it was the compressor too.

#5 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

The only thing you can do is ohm the compressor itself. All 3 pins should have the same reading from each pin to another pin. Also you can check one pin at a time to the tubing to make sure the compressor isn't grounded. I've never used a manual meter. Only digital. I own a fluke 116 and when I was military we only used fluke.
You don't ohm the connector either. You ohm the pins the connector connects to on the compressor.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:37 PM

If the compressor ohms test checks good, replace the inverter board:  http://www.repaircli...5X11138/2443233

365-day Return Policy:  http://www.repaircli...r/Return-Policy

#7 valerdos

valerdos

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:22 PM

Thank you guys for replays! Video is very helpful too. I will get the inverter and replace it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics