Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Main Board DOA % poll

WR55X10942 mothaboard main board ge control board refrigerator

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

The original board we replaced just had a defrost issue... I don't suppose a thermistor would cause a defrost issue would it?

It absolutely will  cause a defrost issue. If I have one not defrosting due to a bad board and there is not any  obvious damage to the board  I'll replace the evaporator thermistor too if its the common-to-fail early stlye  just to cover everything. Of course if I know the thermistor is the problem  I'll only replace that but if  its the board I'll eat a few dollars on a thermistor  so I don't get a call back in the near future with a  customer saying its the exact same problem  and I sold them an expensive board they didn't need if its not defrosting again.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 acfixerdude

acfixerdude

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lagunitas IPA

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:53 PM

How can one test a GE fan motor for gremlins? I know it runs so the 9v battery test won't help...

#23 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,902 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:20 AM

I was burned by a flakey evap fan motor one on a recent job. GE bottom mount with the perverter compressor. Found bad pervertrer board, replaced, all good... for exactly one week. Customer called the following Friday, box warming up again. This time found compressor humming along but the damn evap fan motor had stopped. It was getting voltage but was stuck. I flicked it and it started running. Told customer I'd have to replace the evap fan motor. Imagine her joy (and not a little suspicion) at another repair right on the heels of an expensive one she just had done. She said she'd think about it... until the next morning when the damn fan had stopped AGAIN. Went over, replaced fan, all good.

Moral of the Story: I don't screw around with those damn fans anymore. If that box is a few years old and I'm doing either an expensive repair (perverter board) or I'm already in the freezer for a something else, I'll make a preemptive strike on that evap motor and change it out before it can pee in my Cheerios and make me look like a dunce or a sleaze.

#24 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 3,976 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:37 AM

pee in your cheerios? eewwww. I just have one question...
You did say you refuse to let it happen again, which suggests your cheerios had the yellow "milk" treatment some time in the past... soooooo... did you still eat them?

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 28 December 2013 - 08:42 AM.

Appliantology is, however appliances are not, an exact science for I know there are a few refrigerators that actually hate me.

The simplest explanation is most likely the correct and least expensive one, unless it's your compressor or motherboard" Occam as an appliantologist

"When you have eliminated all the impossible, whatever remains, however implausible, must be the logic truth; unless it's your compressor or motherboard." Mr. Spock as an appliantologist

"I think, therefore I have no earthly idea why this thing is not working...I got nothin'...". Rumored to have been uttered by a frustrated Descartes while diagnosing his GE Profile.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: WR55X10942, mothaboard, main board, ge, control board, refrigerator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics