Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Rust on rear sheet metal - Kenmore Elite #2534449370

Sears Kenmore rust

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bernie_windham

bernie_windham

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Yuengling

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:31 PM

We've got a Kenmore Elite side-by-side. Have noticed an area of rust on the sheet metal cover for the back of fridge. It's on the right when you look at the back, about half way up. That is, behind the freezer section. The rusty spot is a few inches long and is sometimes damp. 

My thought is maybe part of the freon loop is close to the back in that area and is causing condensation on the sheet metal. 

Could anybody confirm that or suggest what else might be going on? 

Thanks much!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:01 PM

On some units a capillary tube can separate from the refrigerant supply line to the evaporator.  When this occurs, frost can travel further along the tube away from the evaporator and through the liner and cabinet.  Moisture forms on the outside of the galvanized metal panel and eventually turns to rust.  A low charge or overcharge of refrigerant can also cause these symptoms.

#3 bernie_windham

bernie_windham

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Yuengling

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

Thanks PDuff. If that's the case, would it be a life-shortening situation for the fridge? Wondering if I could just deal with the sheet metal rust with some emery cloth and rustoleum paint, and then let it be.

#4 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:25 PM

As long as the unit is cooling properly and other components are working properly, fans, icemaker, etc, and that some sealed system repairs can be costly, then yes.  Scratch and patch.  Maybe even cover the affected area with insulated or aluminum tape to cut down on the condensation.

As far as life shortening, a quick visual inspection of the frost pattern on the evaporator will tell the tale.  Remove the inside rear panel of the freezer section to expose the evaporator.  There should be an even sheen of frost across the width and length of the coil.  If you find a partial frosting of the coil or a large buildup of frost at the top, then you may consider repairing the sealed system.

#5 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

The only fixable thing I can think of that may be causing the problem is if the heat exchanger or wiring harness plug is not sealed well where it passes through the freezer liner. If there was a leak there, over time ice would accumulate in the insulation  untill its saturated and that may be the cold spot you're seeing on the back of the unit. Of course you'd have to remove the evaporator cover from inside the freezer to check that.

If there looks to be no problem there I would just cover the  spot with some fiberglass insulation and then cover that with a layer of foil tape. It won't be pretty but it will solve the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics