Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag PAV1000AWW

Thrust bearing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

Client wanted their dead Maytag repaired not replaced.   The  2 speed motor was on its last leg.   The brake While was sguelling also.   I quoted the motor job I also recommended installing a snubber ring & thrust bearing since I was going to pull the tube to quiet the brake.

I replaced the old style bearing with the new thrust bearing kit.    I never had so much trouble getting the retaining clip back on with other units I had serviced.   I used the thin washer, double checked that I left no old washer in place,   There was no room for the clip in the slot,  I filed down the clip ends to help it get started.  I ended up having to beat it on & it still did not seat correctly.  It is working & looks like it is going to hold for the duration.

Has anybody had any trouble like this?     :wacko:

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:14 AM

When the grove for the clip is only half exposed  I can usually get the clip  on by hooking  a flat screwdriver in to the grove and pulling the shaft down. It may only gain you a hundredth of an inch but sometimes thats all thats needed.

#3 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:43 AM

I have been able to do that before.  This one had no clearance what-so-ever.   I put the old thrust washers back on & had plenty of clearance for the clip.  Don't understand why this kit gave me so much trouble.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#4 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:02 AM

What did you do to quiet the brake? Are the pulley and cam alignment marks correct when you manually rotate pulley?

Eric

#5 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:23 AM

I cleaned the brake pad & drum with rubbing alcohol.  Basically I inspected the pad which was good & it did not need replacing.  Pulley & cam are aligned about have way between the two marks.   Machine sounds normal & runs normal.   Tub stops about 1/2 to 3/4 revolution,   without slamming down.

IgonFishn

#6 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:15 AM

Sounds like all is good. I have an idea that I will try on my next one is to block the transmission from moving, rotate pulley CCW to release brake and then place a couple spacers between brake rotor and stator so that when you release the pulley, the brake remains released. This should give plenty of room for removing/replacing the C-clip. Then remove spacers and check alignment marks.

Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics