Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
Patricio

Maytag PAV1000AWW

6 posts in this topic

Client wanted their dead Maytag repaired not replaced.   The  2 speed motor was on its last leg.   The brake While was sguelling also.   I quoted the motor job I also recommended installing a snubber ring & thrust bearing since I was going to pull the tube to quiet the brake.

I replaced the old style bearing with the new thrust bearing kit.    I never had so much trouble getting the retaining clip back on with other units I had serviced.   I used the thin washer, double checked that I left no old washer in place,   There was no room for the clip in the slot,  I filed down the clip ends to help it get started.  I ended up having to beat it on & it still did not seat correctly.  It is working & looks like it is going to hold for the duration.

Has anybody had any trouble like this?     :wacko:

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

When the grove for the clip is only half exposed  I can usually get the clip  on by hooking  a flat screwdriver in to the grove and pulling the shaft down. It may only gain you a hundredth of an inch but sometimes thats all thats needed.

I have been able to do that before.  This one had no clearance what-so-ever.   I put the old thrust washers back on & had plenty of clearance for the clip.  Don't understand why this kit gave me so much trouble.

What did you do to quiet the brake? Are the pulley and cam alignment marks correct when you manually rotate pulley?

Eric

I cleaned the brake pad & drum with rubbing alcohol.  Basically I inspected the pad which was good & it did not need replacing.  Pulley & cam are aligned about have way between the two marks.   Machine sounds normal & runs normal.   Tub stops about 1/2 to 3/4 revolution,   without slamming down.

Sounds like all is good. I have an idea that I will try on my next one is to block the transmission from moving, rotate pulley CCW to release brake and then place a couple spacers between brake rotor and stator so that when you release the pulley, the brake remains released. This should give plenty of room for removing/replacing the C-clip. Then remove spacers and check alignment marks.

Eric