Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

The days of Monkey Boy Service Calls are over...

Click here to check out our fun short course and learn how to get the most out of Appliantology.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
DIYinMinnesota

WM3987 LG Washer/Dryer Combo Won't Turn On

8 posts in this topic

Hi -

Our "new" (used) washer/dryer combo is only being used for the dryer right now before the bathroom remodel is complete. Just the other day, it didn't finish the dry cycle and when I turned it on it had a pF code (power failure, I found out). It restarted after I turned it off and on and all was fine. Now it won't turn on at all. I investigated a little bit and found a warped piece of plastic in the "Electrical Noise Filter"...looks like somehow it got too hot. 

Thinking this was the problem, I searched for testing the noise filter and I found this website and the blog post below and checked the way he said to check. This led me to the main board being the problem.

I checked that though, in the same way, and that shows 120V as well. Is there another way to check??? What else could be wrong?

http://appliantology.org/blog/1/entry-704-how-to-troubleshoot-an-lg-front-load-washer-with-no-display-or-power/ 

Thanks.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Anyone? This is our best day to try to figure this out.

<<<I investigated a little bit and found a warped piece of plastic in the "Electrical Noise Filter"...looks like somehow it got too hot.>>>

Not an indication of failure.

Combo washer/dryer units generate a lot of internal heat (inside the unit itself)---which can deform the plastic on the Noise Filter---but otherwise cause no problems.

<<<I searched for testing the noise filter>>>

<<<and that shows 120V>>>

If the Main Board red LED light is not on/lit---faulty Main Board (EBR38163341)

<<<Our "new" (used) washer/dryer combo is only being used for the dryer right now before the bathroom remodel is complete.>>>

Just a reminder...

Verify that power outlet---is *not* a GFCI

Combo units will *always* trip a GFCI.

You are so helpful! A couple things...

The LED light, where exactly is that? Do we need to take the power board out to see it?

The machine has worked on the GFCI - could it be a problem all of a sudden? It doesn't trip the outlet.

<<<The LED light, where exactly is that?>>>

On the Main Board (can't miss it--if it's on).

The plastic cover can be removed from the Main Board---to better locate/see that LED

<<<The machine has worked on the GFCI - could it be a problem all of a sudden? It doesn't trip the outlet.>>>

Yes---tripped GFCI is a common nuisance issue.

Sometimes the GFCI in another room will "trip"---rather than the one that the combo is plugged into.

Edited by john63

You can see an example of the illustrious LED on one of these boards in this video for an LG top loader-- different type of washer but the segment for the LED on the main PCB would still apply to your washer:

Thank you again! I got the cover off and found the LED. It is definitely not lit so I guess I'm going with replacing the part.