Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Good War Story

Refrigerator repair

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:41 AM

Just read another answer post of yours for a refrigerator Durham.   I learn more about refrigerators from you almost every day.    If your lawyering days were half as good as your refrigerator advice, I don't know why you gave it up.   Other than you had a higher calling.   Teach us more. I also notice you burn the midnight candle on some nights also.     Peace & good will.  :-}

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,564 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:51 AM

One reason I gave it up was for peace of mind. There's an old saying... "the law is a jealous mistress." Sadly, I allowed that to be true for me.. no wife, no kids, always working, no time for church, no fun, couldn't sleep. Wind up recently marrying a lawyer (they keep pulling me back in) and now I still can't sleep because she keeps me up worrying about her cases lol. So I log in here.

Although I post quite a bit, I actually read and obtain much more advice from the brethren here than I can even begin to repay in kind. There are world class techs on this site who amaze me on a daily basis. Luckily with my used appliance store, I am able to put in practice much of the info I obtain from you guys before I apply it in the field and I am constantly studying, practicing and asking questions.

But don't get it twisted. If you notice, I give little to no advice on washers, dryers, dishwashers or microwaves. Frankly because I wouldn't know what the hell I'd be talking about.
One thing I wished I had done with my law practice was to specialize. That is what I am attempting to do in this business, specialize in refrigerators. For me, this allows for singularity of thought, less confusion and less burn out (and I can charge more!).

It is you guys who impress me with your knowledge of gazillions of appliances. It takes all I got just to handle fridges and ranges... uh.. only electric ranges at that. However, your sentiment is truly appreciated.. thanks! (my mommy taught me to always thank people when they say something nice)

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,688 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

Durham the refrigerator man! You help me a ton too man.
Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.tandnappliance.com

#4 J5

J5

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

That is what I am attempting to do in this business, specialize in refrigerators. For me, this allows for singularity of thought, less confusion and less burn out (and I can charge more!).

that has its good and bad

it does limit you to only 1 type of product where a house has everything and being the guy that fixes things its great when your customers can call you for any

product knowing you did a great job last time for them

it does prevent you from growing your business in tha repsect

me personally i enjoy fixing everything as it provides some variety

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:56 PM

yeah, it doesn't work for everyone nor in all areas but it gets me all the business I want
. I aint no young whipper snapper anymore.

#6 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

Right there with you, Brother Durham.  Refrigerator service is the toughest (and most lucrative).  Many techs get started in this industry servicing dryers, then washers, dishwashers, ranges, then refrigerators.

When I first started lurking on this site years ago, I enjoyed the information and commraderie afforded by those who were here long before me.  Durham, Reg, Pegi, Scott, Nick, Willie, and many others.  (Not to mention Samurai, our kind and gracious host).

I've been in this business since 1987, and have through countless factory training sessions.  But this site offers more information, support, and entertainment than any other, including manufacturer's service sites.

So belly up to the trough beside me, Brother Patricio.  We shall feast together on the information and insanity cast before us!

Edited by PDuff, 05 January 2014 - 04:04 PM.

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:32 PM

What I don't understand is why every tech in the country isn't using this site. The info here and brethren support is priceless.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 05 January 2014 - 08:33 PM.

#8 micabay

micabay

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:54 AM

What I don't understand is why every tech in the country isn't using this site. The info here and brethren support is priceless.

Not every tech in the country cares about their job.  It's just a job.  I hope it never becomes that to me.  I enjoy helping people.  I help, by fixing their appliances.  Or by telling them when it is time to go shopping for a new appliance. 

#9 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:42 AM

That's a good way of thinking about it.  I never thought about it that way.  I relate thought, I can never get enough of fixing stuff.  Where I'm at there aren't enough appliances breaking down to keep me busy so I'm always taking on other repairs.  The small stuff normally is cheaper just to buy a new one. You figure it cost $40 just to tell them what's wrong with it.  I will pick it up and take it home and look at it when I have time and just charge them maybe $10 plus parts.  It's because I like fixing stuff and they like it when I do that.  Good for future business.  I find word of mouth is worth a million bucks, actually you can't put a value on it.  I get all my work from word of mouth and it's all I need or want.  It's a joy to have a happy coustomer.  I love what I do.

Doc

#10 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:28 AM

Not every tech in the country cares about their job.  It's just a job.  I hope it never becomes that to me. 

I'm a pretty good judge of character, and I can assure you  that will never happen to you.

#11 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:11 AM

Appliance repair is a job? I thought I just got donations for a hobby?
I love this site. It's the only place where I'm not the only one who eats, sleeps and breathes appliances. The only place where I'm not the only one who can name the appliance in the tv show in the first 5 seconds of seeing it.

#12 J5

J5

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:09 AM

The only place where I'm not the only one who can name the appliance in the tv show in the first 5 seconds of seeing it.

yeh i saw a dishdrawer in the back ground of the kitchen the other day when i was watching por , oops a movie ;)

#13 mark mac

mark mac

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

The same with washers wife thinks I'm nuts

#14 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,806 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:41 AM

I miss watching the Price is Right to see the appliances the contestants won.

Scott Wolf

#15 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

I've mentioned this affliction before, Appliance Tourette's Syndrome.  Exclaiming to all in earshot the brand of refrigerator in Jerry Seinfeld's apartment to the washer and dryer in the Beverly Hillbillies kitchen.  Terrorists shooting up a Sub Zero refrigerator in Die Hard 2.  I can go on and on.

Abandon all hope, Ye who enter here.  :devil: 

#16 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:49 PM

You think that's bad... I made a post last year about making ASTI Orlando my
honeymoon.... you guys thought I was being sarcastic... guess where we went for our honeymoon? Let us flashback....

Hmmm...my wife and I haven't had our honeymoon yet....I can see it now... showing pictures of our honeymoon to friends and family....

My wife :"Now that's a picture of us sharing stone crab with this beautiful moon shining on a gorgeous lake behind us. Remember that honey? "

Me:" Yeah,yeah whatever. Now here's a picture of Samurai, Adirondack Bob and me checking out the latest oven technology, aint that the most romantic thing you've ever seen? "

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 10 January 2014 - 09:50 PM.

#17 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:59 PM

Take her on another ASTI honeymoon! San Diego, where the Oceania on the correct side.

Edited by applianceman97, 12 January 2014 - 10:00 PM.

#18 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

everbody knows the ocean is to the east. That's why the call it the "right" side. As a matter of fact, so many folks move here from the west to have the ocean on the correct/right side (and for better beer) , they call where they came from the "left side" as in I just "left" there yesterday.

#19 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:12 AM

If your facing directly towards Florida or Texas the best coast will be to your right! Lol.

#20 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:20 AM

Best coast is the one with warm water, the 3rd coast otherwise known as the Texas gulf coast, home of Kingfish, Speckled Trout, & Flounder (Texas Grand Slam).

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics